• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is an architectural job suitable to me or not?

Greenhorn
jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Dave & Fellow forum mates at Ranch,

I have started my IT career couple of years back. To work as a Software Architect and to be known as a good one, is one of my goals in coming years.

Dave, I have been developing myself on technical selling points. But after reading your book's Table of Contents, i see more of a behavioral and soft skills related stuff. I would take this opportunity to ask- Whether the skills that you have detailed in your book are the basic skills a starter needs to know to be a Software Architect?

Summarizing, How is your book helpful for early aspirants? & Does it helps them to pursue Software Architecture?

For other mates, if you feel my discussion is not suitable in this forum. Please let me know.

thanks.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Shwetank,
This is a perfect question for this forum. And welcome to CodeRanch!

Being a good technical person requires both tech skills and soft skills. This is true at any level of development, but becomes even more important is you progress to be a technical leader.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Shwetank,

The chapters in the book are ordered. In general, I would look to focus on the early chapters as development areas and then progress to the later chapters. If you don't have some of the earlier skills, the later ones may not matter.

I didn't cover the technical aspects of architecture in the book. I simply assumed knowledge and fluency in them is a foundational aspect of being an architect.

Once you have the right technical skills/knowledge/domain experience, the soft skills come into play. It certainly doesn't hurt to have them earlier on in the journey.

Thank you for asking the question!

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic