• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Are .jar files the only files we can make/issue with jar.

Ranch Hand
Android Netbeans IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
So after many google searches it seems like this question is answered as it is the only one, but is there anything else? I was able to run my jar files fine, but after giving them to a friend he couldn't open them, and all he gets is a windows error noise. There are many things it seems you need to try in order to get it working. Do our files just run through the Jar files to the JRE? We don't need to install or execute anything, or it's all done via the jar file itself?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jay Orsaw wrote:all he gets is a windows error noise

Saying what these errors are would help, but in general, you need to have a jre installed and jar files need to be associated with the javaw executable. How you do this is dependent on which OS you are using.

Jay Orsaw
Ranch Hand
Android Netbeans IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Joanne Neal wrote:

Jay Orsaw wrote:all he gets is a windows error noise

Saying what these errors are would help, but in general, you need to have a jre installed and jar files need to be associated with the javaw executable. How you do this is dependent on which OS you are using.

that's the problem there was NO error message at all, just a windows noise.... He is running XP(32 I think), I am running Windows 7 (64). I was reading up on it, but the thing is, if you are developing applications isn't this an issue for a huge userbase that might not have everything set up? I think that might be an annoyance to users if you have to try and set up everyone's system...

I realized that I made it for Java 7, and most people use 6 update 28-29.. I also read this article http://www.excelsior-usa.com/articles/java-to-exe.html Helped me out a bit overall. I guess you just need to make sure that the versions are the same...

It works nice!

Ranch Hand
Scala Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i had a similar problem compiling with java7 and my browser still using java6. i dont usually use an IDE but i noticed Eclipse has an option for compiling with older compilers(nice feature IMO). thanks for the link, i will read that later.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic