• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

remove(Object Element) of Collections - Reason for parameter type "Object" instead of "E"

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Java Geeks,
This is my first post in Java Ranch. Happy new year to all.

Coming to the question, I was looking at the "Collections" interface. I saw these 2 methods.

void add(E element);
void remove(Object Element);

Why isnt the remove method declared as void remove(E Element)?

Thanks in advance,
Kalps.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Because the remove(Object element); method already existed before generics were added to Java (in Java 5). For backward compatibility reasons, the old method that takes an Object has been preserved. If Java would have had generics from the beginning, it wouldn't have had this method that takes an Object instead of an E.

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesper de Jong wrote:Because the remove(Object element); method already existed before generics were added to Java (in Java 5)...

@Kalpana: And just to add to what Jesper said, there are other examples too, such as Map.get().
In practise, these methods don't violate type safety too much, since what they do relies on finding the passed object in the collection (which won't be the case if it's the wrong type). They are also documented to optionally throw ClassCastException if the passed type is incompatible.

Perhaps they'll add a delete(E element) method at some point, but I don't see any burning need for it.

Winston

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
They can't add new methods to any existing interfaces, or it would break all implementations by other developers. This actually is already the case with JDBC. PreparedStatement, ResultSet and a few other interfaces have received extra methods in Java 6 that will not be implemented by older drivers. Perhaps the JDBC framework has solved this by catching errors and transforming them in SQLExceptions (e.g. SQLFeatureNotSupportedException), but it's also possible that you get a NoSuchMethodError instead (I haven't tested this yet). Perfect.

However, as Winston said, there is no need for a method like that. remove accepts any object as its argument which mean that a delete(E) method would do exactly the same but with some extra compiler checking. During runtime the two would be equivalent since type erasure would turn delete(E) into delete(Object).

Saloon Keeper
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually, there's another important reason.

The method takes an Object for greater flexibility. Say we have a variable:

List<? extends Number> numbers = new ArrayList<Integer>();

If the remove method took a generic type, we could not use it to remove anything from the numbers list. After all, numbers isn't aware of what the exact type argument is.
Since the remove takes an Object, we can try to remove anything from the list referenced by numbers. If the list doesn't contain the value, nothing happens.

Adding the wrong type to a list would cause great problems at runtime. That's why a compiler check is important. Removing a wrong type from a list does nothing, so checking is unnecessary.

Kalpana Periasamy
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
@All : Thanks for the explanation.
For my understanding, what was the method definition of add before Generics were added in Java 5. Was it void add(Object element)? If so, when add(Object element) is rewritten as add(E element), why not remove(Object element) is rewritten?

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, Stephan's given one reason why they didn't.

Kalpana Periasamy
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I understand his reason. I think that I dint understand the basics of generics yet. Do you have any pointers to good generics tutorial?

We can fix it! We just need some baling wire, some WD-40, a bit of duct tape and this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic