• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Configuring Apache Tomcat F5 load balancing

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Hi,

Can anyone help me out in Configuring the Apache Tomcat F5 load balancing. Also let me know which version of Apache and Tomcat connector have to be used.

Regards,
Santosh Kumar

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What do you mean with "F5 load balancing"? Load balancing with the latest version of mod_jk is pretty easy to accomplish by following the instructions.

Santosh Kumar Balasubramani
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hi Rob,

A load balancer is a device that acts as a reverse proxy and distributes network or application traffic across a number of servers. Load balancers are used to increase capacity (concurrent users) and reliability of applications. They improve the overall performance of applications by decreasing the burden on servers associated with managing and maintaining application and network sessions, as well as by performing application-specific tasks.

So this is the concept of Load balancing.

Regards,
Santosh

Rob Spoor
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I know what a load balancer is; I have configured a couple myself at work. What I didn't get is what F5 load balancing is.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
F5 is a brand of web load-balancing device. Literally, a "black box" that you jack into the network ahead of the appservers.

As far as configuring it, I'd RTFM the F5 instruction manual. People use F5's with Tomcat all the time - I got polled on some of the finer points way back in 2005. Forgot it all now, though.

Rob Spoor
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tim Holloway wrote:F5 is a brand of web load-balancing device. Literally, a "black box" that you jack into the network ahead of the appservers.

Thanks for the info. I did check out some load balancing devices but the budget wouldn't let me use any, so we used Apache HTTPD in the end.

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Rob Spoor wrote:

Tim Holloway wrote:F5 is a brand of web load-balancing device. Literally, a "black box" that you jack into the network ahead of the appservers.

Thanks for the info. I did check out some load balancing devices but the budget wouldn't let me use any, so we used Apache HTTPD in the end.

Of course, what this might very well mean is that instead of using a pre-optimized solution with Apache inside, you did the same general thing and spent the money on your labor rather than on theirs. Aren't bean counters wonderful?

A lot of the appliance devices are like that. Cisco's famous IOS is actually built on top of a BSD Unix, IIRC. Many of the other routers are powered by Linux, most famously WRT LinkSys (Cisco) devices.

While the prices on some gadgets are definitely over the top, one of the benefits is that by using a common pre-configured bundle, you can get it supported by commodity technicians and (often) a CodeRanch style community. And sometimes even the vendor will support it. (I'm looking at you, Intuit!)

It can be ironic that the same companies that cheerfully shift out people with critical internal knowledge every few years won't spend money on products that minimize the amount of internal knowledge needed. Commodity employees work better with commodity systems.

Rob Spoor
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
To make it even worse, we are now testing a hardware based solution after all. We found out that our firewalls (SonicWALL) have their own built-in load balancing functionality (I wasn't aware of that, I'm not a network admin). Since we already have them they've decided to use them instead of HTTPD. Of course that involves moving the servers to a different VLAN. Well, as long as it works and I have to spend minimal time on it, I don't really care.

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good case in point. Rumor has it that SonicOS is really Red Hat Enterprise Linux under the covers. Probably not using HTTPD, though, unless they really needed feature-rich services. Most likely either one of the lighter-weight servers or something that they wrote themselves.

Rob Spoor
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My brother works for SonicWALL and he regularly asked me questions about Linux and shell scripts, so I can confirm that it's at least based on some Linux distribution.
On a side note, our Avaya S8700 telephone system also runs on RHEL. Linux is just everywhere

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic