• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Intalling apps on an iPad or iPhone

Sheriff
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've always thought the App Store was the only way to get apps for an iOS device, unless it is jailbroken. However, my wife's company is working on an iPhone app, and they sent her an e-mail with it attached. She opened the mail on my iPad and she was able to install the app directly from there. Can anyone do this, or did these guys run some shenanigans on my iPad?

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Greg Charles wrote:I've always thought the App Store was the only way to get apps for an iOS device, unless it is jailbroken. However, my wife's company is working on an iPhone app, and they sent her an e-mail with it attached. She opened the mail on my iPad and she was able to install the app directly from there. Can anyone do this, or did these guys run some shenanigans on my iPad?

It is possible. There are a couple ways. One is that your device id is added to the company's device list on Apple's site for their developer account.

There is also a developer enterprise account for businesses to load their app onto any iOS device directly. For those in business apps that they wouldn't sell on the app store because it is business proprietary, like an order entry system.

I think sometimes they call it ad-hoc installation.

But yes, it is possible.

Mark

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can here read about how to do it: iPhone Configuration Utility

Choose "iPhone Configuration Utility Help=>Installing Provisioning Profiles and Apps=>Distributing Configuration Profiles by Email" - and you'll get the below text

Distributing Configuration Profiles by Email

You can distribute configuration profiles by email. Users receive the message on their device, and then tap the attachment to install the profile.

To email a configuration profile:

Click the Share button in the iPhone Configuration Utility toolbar.

In the dialog that appears, select a security option:

None: A plain text .mobileconfig file is created. It can be installed on any device. Some content in the file is obfuscated to prevent casual snooping if the file is examined.

Sign Configuration Profile: The .mobileconfig file is signed and can be installed by any device, as long as the profile hasn’t been altered. Once installed, the profile can be updated only by a profile that has the same identifier and is signed by the same copy of iPhone Configuration Utility.

Create and Sign Encrypted Configuration Profile For Each Selected Device: This option signs the profile so it cannot be altered, and encrypts all of the content so the profile cannot be examined and can be installed only on a specific device. Use this option if the profile contains passwords. Separate .mobileconfig files are created for each of the devices you select from the Devices list. If a device doesn’t appear in the list, either it hasn’t been previously connected to the computer so that the encryption key can be obtained, or it hasn’t been upgraded to iOS 3.0 or later.

Click Share, and a new Outlook message opens with the profiles added as uncompressed attachments. The files must remain uncompressed, so that the device can recognize and install the profile.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic