• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Looking for a library that creates favicon type icons from other formats

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I am looking for a library that converts images from any ( within reason obviously ) format into a .ico one, so that it can be used as favicon in an address bar, same as the horse shoe by coderanch's URL

I tried image4j and it does create a .ico file from a .bmp. It does open as an image and I can see it when opening it with the default image viewer.
However, when opening it the link it should be the favicon for, it does not show it correctly.

All that I can see is a small square with random colour pixels. Maybe there are more than one .ico formats? A guess is that it could create desktop icon images...

I am aware that there are sites that do the conversion for you, but I would like to automate the process for those who upload an image to my site.

Thanks, Dan

Dan Arbo
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Straight after posting I thought of looking at favicon specifications on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

Apparently PNG images work as well, so I can just convert any other format submitted into PNG and resize it.

In the article mentioned above, it says that IE doesn't support anything other than .ICO, but it only goes as far as IE5. Can anybody else who have a Windows machine handy specify if the solution works for newer versions? Unfortunately - well, not really unfortunate, I am blessed - I don't have a Windows box handy.

Hope it helps somebody in the future anyway...

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic