• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to do Stress and performance testing for Webservices API

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I am doing webservices API testing, that is we will send a JSON string as input to the Webservices and we will get XML or JSON as response. We will parse the XML or JSON to validate the response. This is simple way to test functionality.

However what i need is i want to do Performance or Stress or any other kind of testing for Webservices API.

Can you please give suggestions to do Performance or Stress testing for Webservices API ?

Thanks, Gopi

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Gopi,

I have not managed or run performance tests myself to give you and answer, but I will throw in my two cents which may help get you going -or- may guide you to list some additional info which will help someone else give you a better reply.

What research have you done on Google so far? I Googled "performance test web services" and found a number of sites including this opensource tools site. You may want to look through these and see if any of them meet your needs.

If that does not help, then you may want to describe a little deeper what you are trying to test in terms of number of concurrent users, transactions per second, response time requirements and so forth. Depending on what your performance goals/requirements are in general may help folks scope their replies to you. It may also help to know if you have any budget limitations (or better worded, what your budget limitations are).

I believe some tools such as LoadRunner will run you a minimum of tens of thousands of dollars (like $50,000+) when you by the minimum licenses and support agreements - no point in being led down that path if your budget is $100 ;)

Good luck!

Gopi Chella
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Brian. yeah i have googled and came to know the open source tools, however i wanted to know anyone's experience with these tools like which one to choose and which is handy and best.

Anyway thanks for your reply. Hence i am closing this post.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic