• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

servlet jdbc

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE MySQL Database Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello everyone am using windows 7 64 bit operating system and developing my first servlet which contains a database in it. can anybody tell me which DBMS should i use so that i can create a table and save records in it? Many thanks!!!

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Any relational DB can do that: Derby, HsqlDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Informix, DB2, SQLServer, Sybase, ... That has nothing to do with servlets, though.

Pranit Sonawane
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your reply Tim, but i tried using oracle but unfortunately there is no driver available with windows 7 64 bit like it needs ODBC driver for creating a dsn connection. many thanks..!!!

Tim Moores
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You definitely do not want to use ODBC with Oracle. On http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/jdbc/index-091264.html I see no mention of any dependency of Oracle's JDBC drivers on some Windows version or other; are you sure about that?

Pranit Sonawane
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Tim, i have been taught that we should use JDBC-ODBC bridge and ODBC driver to connect your standalone or a web application to the database but i dont know if we can use or connect the application with the database using something else...please help..i know this may be funny for you but am sorry am very new to this all...thanks!!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Pranit Sonawane wrote:Hello everyone am using windows 7 64 bit operating system and developing my first servlet which contains a database in it. can anybody tell me which DBMS should i use so that i can create a table and save records in it? Many thanks!!!

- Don't bother to connect using ODBC - there are jdbc drivers available for all the database servers and they work very well because they were developed by the same people who developed the actual server. The fastest in my opinion is to install mysql (comes with a very handy msi installer) and download the jdbc driver from the same place.
- Please don't use the DriverManager.registerDriver approach to get the connection, rather install the jdbc jar file in the application server classpath (lib folder for tomcat 6 - 7) and register a data source.

- As it was mentioned in other messages from this forum, accessing database from the presentation tier or controller should be avoided and instead you should define a service tier and access it from there. But if you just want to "see how it works" that's different.

D.

Tim Moores
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Pranit Sonawane wrote:Tim, i have been taught that we should use JDBC-ODBC bridge and ODBC driver to connect your standalone or a web application to the database

You need to unlearn that. The JDBC/ODBC bridge driver is buggy and not thread-safe; the latter point alone makes it unsuitable for web applications. The type of driver pretty much everyone uses these days is called type 4 driver, and that's what you'll find on that Oracle page.

Pranit Sonawane
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for all of your posts..seems really helpful am still going to experience a problem. please stay in touch and help me out with this. Appreciate your honestly. Many Thanks!!!

Pranit Sonawane
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Alright people now i need to download a database management system for my windows 7 64 bit please help me with this. I have oracle 10 g but dont have a driver to connect it and create a DSN. please help me with the link also. Many thanks!!!

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You do not want to use a DSN. That's still ODBC, and ODBC is terrible compared to a direct connection.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
try the following in your Java code to connect to Oracle DB. Also copy ojdbc14.jar file to your current working directory and set class path.

set classpath=%classpath%;currentworkingdirectorypath.ojdbc14.jar;.

(the . at the end of classpath is also needed to set it to the current directory)
This should work.

This is a type 4 driver and there is no need to set DSN for this.

Hope this helps
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic