• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Architecture planning with Spring and Appserver

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Guys,

this is not exactly spring specific question, but I am kind of spring fun, so I put this question in the air..and hopefully you will give me the right answer!

If there is a requirement from bank for implementation let's say e.g. web banking system whereas the security, reliability are paramount, which technical architecture do you think the most effective/suitable for the given scenario.
1) Spring 3.1 and Tomcat 7.0 can be a reasonable alternative
2) Spring 3.1 + Application Server (Webshpere/Weblogic??)
3) EJB + Application Server

My quesion is, is there any reason why we I should really go for Nr2, because the so called technical background (transaction, security, messaging) is/can be completly handled by the Spring Framework.
Because of the comprehensive technology (transaction, jms, etc) support of the spring I can't see the reason to for application framework. but if yes, which one and why :-)

Nr3. is not very much relevant here, but maybe there could be also some arguments...

thank you guys, I really waiting for your pros/contras!

Cheers,
Csaba

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The question that needs to be asked is: Am I getting any additional features/capabilities from a J2EE server that a web container does not provide ? Also the additional features/capabilities should be used by your project.

In case you are using Spring security & transaction features will be available with Tomcat. In case you have requirements around distributed transactions, then these will not be available out of the box in Tomcat. However there are workarounds for this, you can use "best effort strategy" or could use a third party JTA provider with Tomcat. My suggestion is that you should use # 1, unless you have a specific requirement that # 1 is not able to handle.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic