• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Whats wrong with building with RSA

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi,

I have a conceptual or behavioral question:

Currently our whole company uses RSA and WebSphere for all projects. Before our new manager came, everybody was building ear files from within RSA ( from right click project> export > as Ear).

it was working and being deployed in production even and all was good. Now our new Manager came and said this is all wrong n we shudnt be relying on RSA. He is quite smart technically and his knowledge is excellent. He said he wants to do it through ant or maven and out of RSA, i have seen that due to RSAism in our company our apps are tied with RSA in some ways and they cant be actually be compiled properly outside but my question is this:

what is wrong with building ear files through RSA. It would let me actually work out through this more efficiently if i know what is that I am trying to solve here. cos the counter argument is : Its working why change ?

Thanks in advance.

Syed...

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Syed,

It is just so that you dont get tied to a particular vendor,like IBM. Now for instance you move away from websphere to jboss or weblogic , then you might have to move away from rational as it is more affliated to IBM websphere. Using Maven or Ant is a basic standard and vendor/server independent.

Thanks
Deepak

Syed Mahdi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Deepak,

This does seem right, but what if we know that we are never going to move away from a vendor like IBM. then what are the cons of doing and building with RSA.

Thanks again in advance,
Syed..

Deepak Rao
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Syed Mahdi says

but what if we know that we are never going to move away from a vendor like IBM.

But who knows. Its just better I guess to have open standards as new features and things are built on them..like continuous Integration etc.
Not too sure of any specific Cons of using RSA for build.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic