• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Which tool to use for UI development

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I referred HTML 5 in the below link

http://flowplayer.org/tools/demos/index.html --- jquery HTML 5

Can I use this or should I go for someother thing. for my requirement Google Web toolkit is demanding in terms of server side coding. And flex is heavy on the browser. So after analyzing GWT,Flex and jquery HTML 5 I feel it is better to go for jquery HTML 5. But still can you suggest me if iam on the right track or suggest someother tool for UI development. My target users use old browsers as well. So need to consider that before selecting the right tool. Moreover I need to support IE,chrome,firefox and safari users. So please suggest. And iam looking only for open source.

Is there any drag and drop tool?

Thanks,
Thanuja.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am confused, by 'tool' you mean IDE where you want to develop your code. Or you mean 'UI-tool' that will be used by your users on their browser.

For a development tool you should see your own comfort.

For a UI tool to be used by users, you need to understand what features and functionality suits them.

For development tool, eclipse should be good. I think even Flex IDE would be eclipse-based. If you are a beginner and wish to avoid server side coding and are more on UI, then any editor, TextPad or a WYSIWYG editor can be tried.

Thanuja Vishwanath
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Akhilesh Trivedi wrote:I am confused, by 'tool' you mean IDE where you want to develop your code. Or you mean 'UI-tool' that will be used by your users on their browser.

For a development tool you should see your own comfort.

For a UI tool to be used by users, you need to understand what features and functionality suits them.

For development tool, eclipse should be good. I think even Flex IDE would be eclipse-based. If you are a beginner and wish to avoid server side coding and are more on UI, then any editor, TextPad or a WYSIWYG editor can be tried.

Sorry for the confusion. Iam not looking for development tool. Iam already using netbeans for that. Iam looking for some front end UI development tools like dreamviewer, Adobe muse, Flex or jquery HTML 5 tools. As i already mentioned iam looking for open source and light weight tool.

Akhilesh Trivedi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Thanuja Vishwanath wrote:...Iam not looking for development tool.

Thanuja Vishwanath wrote:Iam looking for some front end UI development tools

Ok. By examples I understand it is 'Web Development'.

I never used it but you can try Aptana.

Open Source? - not sure.
Support for HTML5 - again not sure.

Coming to support for multiple browser, if I were at your place, I would install all those browsers to see myself if they actually work rather than relying on IDEs/tools.
Because there is no point in designing a world class wonderful UI thing which the user can not can not even see! !!!

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
jQuery UI supports drag and drop.

And yeah, you are using the term "tool" incorrectly. It's usually meant to mean IDEs, and build tools, and source control tools, and the like. "Library" or "framework" more closely matches what you are after.

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I use a combination of non-widget jQuery UI features (drag & drop, effects, etc) and Bootstrap, from Twitter for all of my CSS needs as well as a few JavaScript things like modal boxes, etc.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Gregg Bolinger wrote:I use a combination of non-widget jQuery UI features (drag & drop, effects, etc) and Bootstrap, from Twitter for all of my CSS needs as well as a few JavaScript things like modal boxes, etc.

WOW. Bootstrap looks awesome and looks like it could have saved me lots of time on my "grid" that is so messed up.

Thanks

Mark

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic