• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Using PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer to read in external properties - not working

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

We need to use an external properties file (not in the classpath, not bundled with our WAR/EAR) & these properties need to be used to set some spring bean properties. This is exactly described in a 2008 blog post at http://springtips.blogspot.com/2008/09/configuring-applications-with-spring.html ('Optional External Properties'). I tried using the technique in an example but I get the error that the property that I reference from the external file is not being set.

1) spring bean xml file (TestSpringProp is my own Spring bean that I'm testing this example with; it has setMyProp and getMyProp methods):
<bean class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer">
<property name="ignoreUnresolvablePlaceholders" value="true"/>
</bean>

<bean class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer">
<property name="ignoreResourceNotFound" value="true"/>
<property name="location" value="${PropFile}"/>
</bean>

<bean id="TestSpringProp" class="com.att.testspring.TestSpringProp">
<property name="myProp" value="${test.myprop}" />
</bean>

2) I create C:\deploy\myprops.properties as follows:
test.myprop=whatever

3) I then run it from Eclipse with the JVM argument as follows: -DPropFile=C:\deploy\myprops.properties

4) I don't get any errors on the 2 PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer beans but I get an error when I try to access the property that's in my property file: "Invalid bean definition with name 'TestSpringProp' defined in class path resource [config/spring/testspring.xml]: Could not resolve placeholder 'test.myprop'

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic