• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is Python well suited for database applications?

Greenhorn
Android Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am a developer who works primarily with database applications in the Microsoft Visual FoxPro environment. As you may know, Microsoft is planning to discontinue support for FoxPro in the coming years. I have heard Python mentioned as a possible suitable replacement. Visual FoxPro offers a fairly high level OOP environment, and obviously it has integrated database support. What are your thoughts on the possibility of migrating from this type of development environment to Python?

Thank you,

Mark

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Are you uncomfortable leaving the VFP GUI? If so, you may be better off moving to VB or C# and the Visual Studio environment. There are some Python IDE's available, but I haven't used them so I can't compare them with VFP.
Python is a general-purpose programming language, as opposed to VFP, which is tightly integrated with database access, so the database functionality will seem less obvious.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic