Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Head First Java. What I need and downloads.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everone. My name is Michael but you can call me Mikey. I recently got the book Head First Java so I could learn Java.
It recommends this website and forum if I have any problems. I just have a few questions regarding installing Java. (By the way I tried posting this before but the tab just froze. I refreshed and lost everything. So I'm posting again. I checked and as far as I know my original attempt didn't post but if it did and people have replied please inform me, thanks).

- The book says to download Java 2 Standard Edition. I have downloaded Java SE 7u3 (the 64 bit one). Is this correct? Also when installing it recommended to make an Oracle account, but when I made one it asked for my job description etc but I'm a student so I can't fill in some of this required information. Do I need to have an account or should I just leave it?
- It also asks for the J2SE API documentation. I looked around online and I found this. Is this the right place? If so how do I download everything? When I click on one of the packages it just gives me a description.
- I also have a question about adding an entry to my PATH environment variable, but that can wait until I've downloaded everything.

I would greatly appreciate any answers. I understand some of these questions may seem trivial to some, but I've never done anything like this before so I'm not too sure if I'm downloading the right things etc.

Thanks

Mikey

Ranch Hand
MySQL Database Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to Java Ranch

Yes, you came to the right place.

1. Here is the link to download JDK. Download JDK. I was able to download without asking to create any account.

2. Its your choice, you can download x86 or x64 depending on which OS you have. Even you have 64 bit OS; downloading x86 would work fine.

3. You API link referred to Java 5. Use the new Java 7 API.

4. Excellent link for setting up PATH.

Hope this helps.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic