• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to play (with pause, stop, etc.) movies in a java app (or is JMF really dead?)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everyone,

I want to build a Java app to play *.avi files, including the ability to pause, stop, backup, etc. along with some application specific stuff. While asking Mr. Google for help on how to do this, I came across something called the Java Media Framework (JMF). However, I also saw references to JMF being old or dead. Well, I'm not sure I want to start down a path where I'm using an old, non-maintained software package. Is this the case? Is JMF dead? If so, is there another approach (e.g. another package) to building an app to play *.avi files? Am I going to have to figure all of this out on my own? (I admit that would be fun but I don't think the boss has the $$ and time for me to do that. Besides someone has to have done this before.)

Thanks a whole bunch,
Bill

Bartender
Netbeans IDE Opera Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You could try JavaFX 2.0. Till now, it supports only a very limited number of audio/video formats, but that's expected to change.

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JMF is dead in the sense that it has not seen development in quite some time, and will not be developed any further. It works fine for what it does, though (which may or may not cover your requirements).

The https://coderanch.com/how-to/java/OtherOpenSourceProjectsFaq page links to some other Java media libraries that may be helpful.

Bill Doss
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

From the OtherOpenSourceProjectsFaq page, suggested by Tim, I found a link titled Playing Media with Java Media Components" that looks like it might do the trick. I'm going to research that now and I will consider this question solved. Thanks for the responses!!

Bill

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic