• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Using a variable inside an action listener that is created / edited in the main class

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am creating an app for fun that takes the name of a JCheckBox to add into a list that I want to do stuff with. Currently because
I am creating the list in the action listener I think it is re-initializing it. I tried setting up a variable in the main class but the action listener cannot pick up on it. I'm guessing that I need to pass it to the action listener but I am not sure how to do that. Here is my action listener code, its an item state changed since I'm looking at JCheckBox's.

To clarify I am trying to make the array out_kitchen_bros available to the itemstatechanged

and here is where I declare the variables that I think to try and make them available.

Appreciate the help. I am newish to java mainly just haven't done much of it recently and having trouble remembering some of the basics.

Richard Alves
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So to anyone who answers this. I found out that using ArrayList is much better. They are dynamic so are much better since I do not know the size of the array and have methods to add and remove items easily so don't have to build your own methods to do so.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/ArrayList.html

Works a lot better now.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So let me get this straight. You want to add the checkbox text to be added or removed to a list, which in your case is an Array or an ArrayList, depending on the selected or deselected state?

I cannot see your checkbox objects, but did you remember to setPropertyChangeListener to the listeners you have built?

Also I agree with you on changing it to an ArrayList. It'll make the logic easier for your experiment.

Bartender
Netbeans IDE Opera Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Richard Alves wrote:http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/ArrayList.html

Please don't post links to the API for old Java versions which are long past EOL.

Here's the Java SE 6 API: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/
And this is for Java SE 7: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/

Also, it would have been nice if you had acknowledged Michael's help in your earlier thread before asking a follow-up question.

To get better help sooner, post a SSCCE (Short, Self Contained, Compilable and Executable) example that demonstrates the problem.

This may be what you need ... or not.

Darryl Burke
Bartender
Netbeans IDE Opera Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Victor M. Pereira wrote:did you remember to setPropertyChangeListener to the listeners you have built?

Which class has a method setPropertyChangeListener? I couldn't find a method with that name anywhere in the Swing API.

Also, what do property changes have to do with the question?

Victor M. Pereira
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Darryl Burke wrote:what do property changes have to do with the question?

Sorry about the setProperty I was doing it from my own memory. The method name actually is: createActionPropertyChangeListener(Action a) . Is a factory method that creates the propertyChangeListener and it works every time it gets from true to false the JCheckBox. Also if you watch the JComponent you'll see the addPropertyChangeListener(PropertyChangeListener pcl). Meanning that it'll react to just not clicking, but also to the change of value making it easy to test.

And it has to do with the point that I haven't seen the part of the code where he sets its actionlisteners or propertychangelisteners. And also the GUI part where he creates his JCheckBox.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic