• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java License

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello. I dont know if this is the correct place to ask this. Any way, I will ask:
I understand (do I?) that java has been released by sun under GPL license. My question is this:
If java is under GPL license, all programs I write HAVE to be under the same license? If so, Am i obligated to release the source code of my application?

Thanks a lot!

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No.

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Java is not released under GPL; see http://java.sun.com/javase/faqs.jsp#2q1.

However, even if it were, only derivatives of the JDK, JRE or Oracle code would have to be released under the GPL. Any code you write using the tools is not a derivative as you could also use a different compiler and JVM to run them. Therefore, you are free to choose any license for the Java code you write yourself (provided it's not the derivative of some other code, you'd need to check its license for that).

Jessid Leon Velez Gutierrez
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Rob Spoor wrote:Java is not released under GPL; see http://java.sun.com/javase/faqs.jsp#2q1.

However, even if it were, only derivatives of the JDK, JRE or Oracle code would have to be released under the GPL. Any code you write using the tools is not a derivative as you could also use a different compiler and JVM to run them. Therefore, you are free to choose any license for the Java code you write yourself (provided it's not the derivative of some other code, you'd need to check its license for that).

Thanks Rob for answering. Just one last question about this topic:

If I decide to write an app using the SE of java and sell it, will I ever have to pay something to Oracle?

"Note that in either case (SCSL or JRL), if you decide to use your project internally for productive use or distribute your product to others, you must sign a commercial agreement and meet the Java compatibility requirements. Contact your local Sun office to obtain an agreement. "

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Did you notice that the passage Rob linked to talks about the BCL? The SCSL or JRL are about Java's source code, not about using the binary Java distribution.

I've got no option but to sell you all for scientific experiments. Or a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic