• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

HTTP Post SSL certificates (Jakarta HTTP Commons)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've inherited a legacy application and have to change from UsernamePasswordCredentials(username,password) to using SSL Certificates. (It's using the Jakarta Commons HTTPClient, and I've included the legacy code at the bottom of this post.)

I've done a lot of reading, and researching. Even picked up some Oreilly books specifically on Java Network Programming, and Web Services. I haven't seen any one specific solution, and I'm missing how I actually pass the certificate when I do the Post, but I beleive I'm going to have to use a Key/Truststore.

I don't know if I have to place the files in the right directories on the server and simply add to the cource code:

Or am I going to have to rewrite the legacy code to include a TrustStore and KeyStore by adding something like:

Here's the legacy source code:

Todd Reser
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Okay,

I've dug a little further, and am hopeful that either someone else can chime in, or perhaps if I solve this on my own, someone in the future can use this thread to assist them.

I came across another example, http://stilius.net/java/java_ssl.php, but it appears that the way the TrustStore/Keystores certificates are linked/passed is by the invocation command. In their example "java -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=mySrvKeystore -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=123456 EchoServer" and "java -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=mySrvKeystore -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=123456 EchoClient"

JAVA + SSL Tutorial (server and client examples)
Certificate
First we need to make certificate, this is done by using keytool that is part of J2SE SDK (program will ask for certificate owner information and password, enter 123456 as password, or you can enter your password, but notice that you have to change it in other commands listen in this tutorial):

After this command you will have certificate file in working directory of issuing keytool command.
Server source code (EchoServer.java)

Compile it by using simple command:

Client source code (EchoClient.java)

Compile it by using simple command:

Running server and client using SSL
First copy certificate file that you created before into working directory and run server with these parameters (notice that you have to change keyStore name and/or trustStrorePassword if you specified different options creating certificate:

And now again copy certificate file that you created before into working directory and run client with these parameters (notice that you have to change keyStore name and/or trustStrorePassword if you specified different options creating certificate:

If you want SSL debug information just add these parameters when running server and/or client:

Playing with server and client
Now just type any string on client console and press return. The same string has to appear on server console.
Copyright
This document is copyrighted to Tomas Vilda. You can use it in all ways, but don't change this section and allways include it.

Todd Reser
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In my case, my application is running via WebLogic 10.

It appears that I need to modify my WebLogic Setup to use the appropriate KeyStore and/or Trust Store.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11035_01/wls100/secmanage/identity_trust.html

How WebLogic Server Locates Trust
WebLogic Server uses the following algorithm when it loads its trusted CA certificates:

1.If the keystore is specified by the -Dweblogic.security.SSL.trustedCAkeystore command-line argument, load the trusted CA certificates from that keystore.
2.Else if the keystore is specified in the configuration file (config.xml), load trusted CA certificates from the specified keystore. If the server is configured with DemoTrust, trusted CA certificates will be loaded from the WL_HOME\server\lib\DemoTrust.jks and the JDK cacerts keystores.
3.Else if the trusted CA file is specified in the configuration file (config.xml), load trusted CA certificates from that file (this is only for compatibility with 6.x SSL configurations).
4.Else load trusted CA certificates from WL_HOME\server\lib\cacerts keystore.

I'm hopeful once I import the certificates into my stores, then modify the WebLogic Configuration that either the old POST method will simply work, passing the certificates. If not I will have to look and see if I need code changes "System.setProperty" or "KeyStore" and "SSLSocketFactory"

Todd Reser
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Further down the path I go...

In my /opt/.../config/config.xml there is a specific line:

So I beleive my next step is to add my new certificate to that file with something like:

Does anyone have any experience with this, and/or can you validate my assumptions before I go blindly adding an exported certificate into my development environment, and attempt to test?

Todd Reser
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, now I'm wondering if perhaps everything I need is solely in the WebLogic configuration.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E13222_01/wls/docs100/ConsoleHelp/pagehelp/Corecoreserverserverconfigssltitle.html

Use Server Certs:
Sets whether the client should use the server certificates/key as the client identity when initiating a connection over https.

MBean Attribute:
SSLMBean.UseServerCerts

Changes take effect after you redeploy the module or restart the server.

I reckon I'm off to either find a WebLogic Forum to post my question(s) in, or off to the bookstore to try and find a WebLogic 10 book because there has to be someone that has already solved this issue.

Bartender
Mac TypeScript Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Moved to Security forum for a more specific audience.

Can you hear that? That's my theme music. I don't know where it comes from. Check under this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic