• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What is the least sexy occupation?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
What kind of job your lover should absolutely not have?

I give you two anecdotes, why I am asking the question.

Once I had a chat with a young girl. She seemed interested. I told her I was a computer programmer. She left. So for some girls it is ... computer programmer.

Today I met another young girl. Very attractive. We talk about our jobs. She says she is still a Management Business school student but has worked for the Human Resource department. Then tells me this depressing crap, sorry, I already have to hear from my management. Like technical skills are not important, it is your character. (And we will decide from a half hour talk what it is.) And the all noses have to be directing in the same direction, together we are strong, that is why we have to do paintball together, and the competitor is evil....

She really really depressed me! As pretty and young as she is...I just don't want to see her again. GO AWAY!!! Yes for me the worse answer is, 'I work for the HR department', or worst, selection agency.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Windows XP Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jan de Boer wrote:Today I met another young girl. Very attractive.

did you notice how good the 1000rs !(in Indian rupees).

Jan de Boer wrote:
technical skills are not important, it is your character.

you would have ask this question to her with out technical skill what will you do with character?

Sheriff
Netbeans IDE Oracle Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Seetharaman Venkatasamy wrote:you would have ask this question to her with out technical skill what will you do with character?

She would doubtlessly answer that skills can be learned, but character is given.

* Oh my, now I'm exposed. *

You must believe me, I didn't ever work in an HR department! It's true! I don't even know why did I say that. Someone has cursed me! No, don't throw me out, I couldn't...... Aaaaaaa....

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Martin Vajsar wrote:She would doubtlessly answer that skills can be learned, but character is given.

Nooooo! Please don't say these clichés!

Seriously, I know that she is very sophisticated and comes from upper class family, but I rather would have a working class girl that worked on the garbage truck. Talk about garbage all day. Would love to here hear dirty garbage stories!

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Garbage collection -- a hot topic in some of our forums! But the version which takes place once a week out behind my house -- not so exciting these days. The truck driver presses a button, a mechanical arm comes out of the truck and lifts the garbage bin, which goes upside-down and the contents mostly fall into the truck. (Provided the raccoons didn't knock over the bin before the truck arrived, that is.) Then the arm puts the bin back down on the ground, usually with the lid open so it can fill with rain water until I go out and get it. The truck driver has no idea whether there was anything interesting in the bin at all.

Ranch Hand
Android Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Clapham wrote:The truck driver has no idea whether there was anything interesting in the bin at all.

There are cameras installed in the bin of a truck now a days.

Sachin Patil
Ranch Hand
Android Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well.... coming to the original topic, least sexy occupation to me will be "Politics".

Bartender
jQuery Netbeans IDE Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database Chrome Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's a toss up between lawyer and journalist. Either one would send me running for the door.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jan de Boer wrote:Once I had a chat with a young girl. She seemed interested. I told her I was a computer programmer. She left. So for some girls it is ... computer programmer.

Yes, this is annoying. Many people have a stereotype in their heads that all computer programmers are anti-social nerds and that all we are interested in is boring technical computer stuff. They don't think about the fact that most computer programmers are highly educated, intelligent people and that programming jobs are well-paid in general.

Jan de Boer wrote:Like technical skills are not important, it is your character.

That's a very dumb position to be in for a manager, especially for a manager who has to manage people in technical jobs, such as programmers. If there would be nobody with technical skills we'd go back to the stone age in no time.

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Worse than garbage collector...I saw a truck pull up to a construction site. a guy pulled out a big hose and vacuumed the contents out of the port-a-potty.

and Jk...not all lawyers are bad. It's just the 99% of them that give the rest a bad name.

Martin Vashko
Sheriff
Netbeans IDE Oracle Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesper de Jong wrote:

Jan de Boer wrote:Like technical skills are not important, it is your character.

That's a very dumb position to be in for a manager, especially for a manager who has to manage people in technical jobs, such as programmers. If there would be nobody with technical skills we'd go back to the stone age in no time.

Yes, in the long term perspective you're right.

In the short-term perspective, though, a skilled employee can often expose (even inadvertently) his manager as an incompetent dimwit. Such employee will doubtlessly be branded as an annoying troublemaker, and HR department will be instructed to avoid these skilled, but obnoxious candidates the next time round, please.

I witnessed several such situations myself, though the instructions to the HR department are just fruits of my imagination.

By the way, "manager" is sometimes (intentionally) mangled to "managor" in our country, since Czech magor means nutcase in English. Good managers are hard to come by in this part of the world.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

fred rosenberger wrote: . . . a guy pulled out a big hose and vacuumed the contents out of the port-a-potty. . .

100 years ago, about 1 miles from where I sit, people would come round with carts to collect the “night soil” which was taken the 3 miles to Marton as fertiliser. I presume they used shovels.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Martin Vajsar wrote:

Seetharaman Venkatasamy wrote:you would have ask this question to her with out technical skill what will you do with character?

She would doubtlessly answer that skills can be learned, but character is given.

Skills can be learned, but only by people with enough intelligence to learn them. But she is right, in a way. Any strength can be useful, but any weakness can limit your potential. Someone with the personality but not much intelligence can move up to be manager at Burger King. Someone with the intelligence but not the personality can be a hacker. If she comes from an upper-class family, she probably expects someone who has both.

Jesper de Jong wrote:

Jan de Boer wrote:Once I had a chat with a young girl. She seemed interested. I told her I was a computer programmer. She left. So for some girls it is ... computer programmer.

Yes, this is annoying. Many people have a stereotype in their heads that all computer programmers are anti-social nerds and that all we are interested in is boring technical computer stuff. They don't think about the fact that most computer programmers are highly educated, intelligent people and that programming jobs are well-paid in general.

Being an anti-social nerd myself, what I find annoying is the notion that anti-social nerds are not sexy.

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are no boring occupations, only boring people :p

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Frank Silbermann wrote: Being an anti-social nerd myself, what I find annoying is the notion that anti-social nerds are not sexy.

Oh I find them sexy. Where is that anti-social nerdy girl, that does not talk and only wants to have sex? The only good replacement is my inflatable doll.... :-)

Jayesh A Lalwani
Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok! I guess now we know why you are having trouble finding dates now

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Always leave your inflatable friend at home home you go on a date. It's an unwritten rule.

Paul Clapham
Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Moving the thread away from the thin ice it's skating on...

Have a look at Why the world needs introverts.

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Least sexy occupation has to be stripper.
And probably pron-star.

clojure forum advocate
Mac Objective C Clojure
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
On the other side, what is the most sexy occupation?

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

James Hodgkiss wrote:Always leave your inflatable friend at home home you go on a date. It's an unwritten rule.

But... Nobody ever told me!! Now you're telling me this...

Finally I know what I do wrong on all these dates.

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Clapham wrote:Why the world needs introverts.

Well I do not agree on the one. What is introvert? Is being nerdy by definition being introvert? I am not shy, I am not uncertain. The painful thing is, I am not interested. I am bored. Ok, I know this is one of my bad qualities. But I give you an example. We have a company outing. Someone asks do you like football. I say yes I like football. I love all sports. I ask hím: do you like football. No, I do not, he says. Ok fine. Then he says, if you watch football in which part of the stadium are you. .... I think: If you don't care about football, why on earth would you like to know that??? Or are we just obliged to have a conversation, since we are working for the same company, and the HR girl, and the manager guy are watching us? Any idea what I mean or??

On the other hand, if you are young and pretty, you can talk about anything*), and I'll hanging on your lips and interested in every word you say, and totally charming. Not shy at all! Shyness is not my problem!

*) Ok, apart from Human Resource thingies!!

Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jan de Boer wrote:

Paul Clapham wrote:Why the world needs introverts.

Well I do not agree on the one. What is introvert? Is being nerdy by definition being introvert? I am not shy, I am not uncertain.

Introverts are not shy and uncertain: those are the prejudices that people have about introverts. The article is exactly about the fact that introvert people are not always nerdy, shy and uncertain.

I'm an introvert and I'm also not shy and uncertain.

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesper de Jong wrote:The article is exactly about the fact that introvert people are not always nerdy, shy and uncertain.

Jesper I apologize. I reacted too impulsively, before I really read the article. It is very good. May-be I'll let this girl read it.

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jan de Boer wrote:

Jesper de Jong wrote:The article is exactly about the fact that introvert people are not always nerdy, shy and uncertain.

Jesper I apologize. I reacted too impulsively, before I really read the article. It is very good. May-be I'll let this girl read it.

If I were you, I would read it with the girl.
Everything else, then, comes naturally :cool:

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Maneesh Godbole wrote:If I were you, I would read it with the girl.

Well ... we are on good terms again, so to speak. But I am not gonna give you many details of my personal life here! :-P

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic