• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

error 500 on server

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello I am new to my job. The server is throwing an exception all of a sudden.

Do you have any recommendations on how I should adjust the heap space on the environment variable? Or do you think a server reboot would do it?

This is a description of the error:

HTTP Status 500 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Filter execution threw an exception

root cause

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.5.17 logs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache Tomcat/5.5.17

Ranch Hand
Oracle Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Increasing the heap size would be one way to possibly fix this. However you should try and figure out what is causing the JVM to run out of memory. It could happen in DEV environments where apps are deployed often, so in those cases just restarting the app server would be fine. If this is a PROD environment, you should try and look at the source code where the exeption originates from and figure out why so much memory is being used, for instance large Collections or Maps, large Resultsets, etc. etc. In many cases, fixing the code (i.e. by properly scoping objects) can prevent situations where you run out of memory.

All of life is a contant education - Eleanor Roosevelt. Tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic