• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

eclipse certification ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Is there any industry recognized course or certification for eclipse?

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can find a certification course for just about anything. It doesn't mean that employers will actually care if you have the certificate. Of all the certificates ever offered in IT, there's only a scant handful that are considered worth the paper that they're printed on.

Raghavendra Shockley
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tim Holloway wrote:there's only a scant handful that are considered worth the paper that they're printed on.

Which ones are those? My guess is that its CCNA, CEH, CISSP, Network+, A+. I dont think that my OCJP is one of them.

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Different people value different things, but the CCNA and RCHE exams are valued because you have to do "real-world" style work. Meaning that if you can pass the exam, you can probably do exactly the same thing as a work assignment and do it in a reasonable amount of time.

The CISSP and A+ exams are frequently demanded, although I never really analyzed the A+ for actual utility and only know CISSP by repute.

The ones that are pretty worthless and the cram-and-barf ones. SCJP can be done C&B, and I haven't been seeing much demand for it lately. At the bottom of my list are the specialty certs from vendors and the mass-market ones from testing centers. I think a lot of the vendor product certs are actually awarded just so the vendor can advertise how much alleged support the product has, and the testing centers would certify a sandwich-maker if they could get paid for it.

Honestly, I don't think the best indication of competence for software development and design can be done in a short Q&A session. Real-life competence indicators require weeks or months of work to prove, and in my own opinion, would be better handled by some sort of apprenticeship program like the old-style guilds had. Continuing that analogy, I wouldn't myself certify for individual tools because one of the marks of a good craftsman is the ability to pick up and work with any good tool of the trade. From a cold-blooded business perspective, if you used edlin and could develop quality maintainable software and documentation in a reasonable timeframe, it's all one to me.

clojure forum advocate
Mac Objective C Clojure
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think IDEs certifications worth nothing, nothing at all.
Having Photoshop certification doesn't mean you are a designer, having Eclipse/VS/Xcode certification doesn't mean you are a programmer. Don't waste your resources on such certs (if any exists).

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic