• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Proxy Servlet/Web Browser monitor

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I want to implement web browser monitor in java (to track all the communication between browser and web application). I started with simple proxy servlet, but I realized that ajax calls are not going through the proxy. Is there some way how to catch also ajax calls? Is there some way how java can hook into the browser communication other than proxy?

Thanks.

Bartender
Firefox Browser Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What is the proxy servlet? Does the browser use it to connect to the proxy? If yes, then the AJAX must pass through the proxy because there is no other way for the browser to connect to the internet/ outside world.
You need to make sure if the browser settings are correct and it is not connected directly to the internet.

Viktor Kubinec
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Proxy servlet is just a simple servlet I deployed to tomcat ROOT, which just forwards the requests and send responses back. Since the requests and responses available here they can be traced or even modified.

I have set up proxy server in firefox in network setting, I checked the option - use for all protocols. But after I shuted down the proxy servlet the page was still updated in the browser by regular ajax calls. So it look like that ajax is bypassing the proxy server.

Maybe I can try to disable firefox to access internet in firewall settings and see what happens then.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic