• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Starting in JBoss Fails ;-(

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

first of all, jforum ist great. However I have one big Problem, that I cant get jforum working on JBoss 4.0.4. Wehn I call the index.html that redirects to http://localhost:8080/jforum/forums/list.page
As the result when calling the URL above I get an 404 Error (not found).

However I managed to install the same jforum Installation in a stand alone Tomcat, this works (but not in JBoss). So this must be an issue relatied to JBoss and jforum.

The last message that gets printed out before the 404 turns up ist stated below:

So this cllickstream-jforum.xml is the last that gets processed. As this instance works well in a Stand Alone Tomcat I changed the DB-Connection (that is correctly configured) and then I get an DB-Socket Connection Error. So This means that something is already working in the Background, but shortly befor everything is finisehd and the forum will show up an Internal Error happens. But sadly, as it can be seen above, I dont get any excpetions printed out. So this is very strange.

If have to say this is a newly downloaded jboss installation. The only thing that has been adopted for jforum is the jboss-web.xml File stating the context to use --> "jforum". Maybe I need to change some other parameters (for example Security Constraints etc). If someone has a working jforum Installation on JBoss it would be very kind if you can help me and state waht you also changed to get jforum running in JBoss.

Thank you very much!!
Julian
[originally posted on jforum.net by Anonymous]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Registered as bug:

http://www.jforum.net/jira/browse/JF-511

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Guys, has anyone got the solution yet for this JBoss - JForum compatibility problem, have also lost quiet a significant amount of hair!!
[originally posted on jforum.net by ngonidan2]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
you need configure apache

mod_jk.conf

[originally posted on jforum.net by Rock]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have it running in JBoss 4.2.1, and I had the same problem at first. I just deployed it as a jforum.war/ directory instead of .war compressed file to the [JBOSS_HOME]/server/default/deploy/ instead of the webapps (in JBoss 4.2.1 it is the jboss-web.deployer directory or something like that) directory.

Try it out, good luck.

Diego
[originally posted on jforum.net by andune76]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Correct

I have just run jforum-2.1.8 on jboss--4.2.3portal-2.7.0.CR1 !!! after exactly 1 year of failure !!!, i was just giving up. It's so easy you won't believe it !!!

How to run jforum on JBoss

What i noticed is JBoss has problems decompressing war files just as andune76 above mentioned so the idea is just to give it uncompressed files.

Now JForum installation files come in 3 flavours

1) .zip file
2) .war file
3) .src.zip

Option 1

The easiest file to use is the .zip coz this simply contains the folders in an already expanded format, you simply need to unzip the package, (it created a folder called jforum-2.1.8), i then simply copied and pasted it into JBoss JBOSS_HOME]/server/default/deploy/ folder and renamed the folder to jforum.war which is a more user friendly name when it comes to typing the web address(Note the .war extension). Thats it !!!

*****Headaches come because on testing we try to immediately test using the address like

http://localhost:8080/jforum/

NO, FOLLOW installation instructions which say: the next step is to install your jforum by going to

http://localhost:8080/jforum/install.jsp

This now takes you to a page to configure your jforum. Fill in the deatails according to your environment. Another catch here is you must have simply created an empty jforum database coz jforum installation doesn't create a database for you, it simply fills an already existing database with Tables and data !!!, so in my case, i use MySQL, so i just opened MySQL Administrator tool and created a new Database Schema(Database) called jforum then went on with the installation and on completing, thats when you can now test using an address like

http://localhost:8080/jforum/

And voila !!!

Option 2

Now if we choose to install using the war file, the problem is we need to find a way to decompress the files. And Apache Tomcat can do that for you, in my case i had another Tomcat installation so just used it to decompress the war file for me into expanded folders(Just copy and paste the .war file into Tomcat's webapp folder and it will expand/decompress the war - it created a folder with the name jforum-2.1.8 in my case). Next i just copied the jforum-2.1.8 folder from Tomcat and pasted it into JBoss JBOSS_HOME]/server/default/deploy/ folder and renamed the folder to jforum.war which is a more user friendly name when it comes to typing the web address(Note the .war extension), proceed as above.

POSSIBLE ERRORS

You might get a log4j error as below:

04:49:06,812 INFO [TomcatDeployer] deploy, ctxPath=/jforum, warUrl=.../deploy/jforum.war/
04:49:07,172 ERROR [STDERR] log4j:ERROR A "org.jboss.logging.appender.FileAppender" object is not assignable to a "org.apache.log4j.Appender" variable.
04:49:07,172 ERROR [STDERR] log4j:ERROR The class "org.apache.log4j.Appender" was loaded by
04:49:07,172 ERROR [STDERR] log4j:ERROR [WebappClassLoader
delegate: false
repositories:
/WEB-INF/classes/
----------> Parent Classloader:
java.net.FactoryURLClassLoader@5ea62a
] whereas object of type
04:49:07,219 ERROR [STDERR] log4j:ERROR "org.jboss.logging.appender.FileAppender" was loaded by [org.jboss.system.server.NoAnnotationURLClassLoader@1b89c9].
04:49:07,219 ERROR [STDERR] log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate appender named "FILE".
04:50:13,484 INFO [STDOUT] 04:50:13,469 INFO [JForumBaseServlet ] Starting JForum. Debug mode is true

SOLUTION

1) You can even ignore it, mine worked

2) Another Solution. The error is caused by a conflict between your application's log4j.jar file and JBoss log4j.jar file. This is because JBoss comes with log4j.jar file already loaded and so this will conflict with jforum log4j.jar file

Solution- just delete the log4j.jar and also commons-logging-api.jar files from the WEB-INF\lib directory of your jforum so that jforum uses the log4j.jar file in JBoss and restart your JBoss the errors should clear

hope it helps !!!

[originally posted on jforum.net by ngonidan2]

If you look closely at this tiny ad, you will see five bicycles and a naked woman:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic