• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need information & advice

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hello everyone, I am new to this forum. just now i installed jforum and i need your valuable information on how to connect my database to the forum and how can i add new categories to my forum. I looked around the java files and got totally lost in it ..Please advice me where to start with.

thanks & regards
ace
[originally posted on jforum.net by titan_in]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

titan_in wrote:hello everyone, I am new to this forum. just now i installed jforum and i need your valuable information on how to connect my database to the forum and how can i add new categories to my forum. I looked around the java files and got totally lost in it ..Please advice me where to start with.

thanks & regards
ace

It would be helpful to know which database you are trying to connect to. The installation guide explains the configuration files, have you read that yet?

Also, with your new categories question, do you want to do it manually through the Admin Console, or programmatically through some other application/coding?

I'm also moving this to the correct forum.
[originally posted on jforum.net by GatorBait3]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello GatorBait3,
I am using mysql and my database is ready, and when you mean about the installation guide do you mean by the config/database folder?

well coming to the category initially i want to set up a forum so right now i want to know it from the admin's view also it would be great if you could let me know about the coding you are mentioning about and sorry for posting in the wrong category.

Thanks for the support jforum team.

Regards,
ace

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

titan_in wrote:Hello GatorBait3,
I am using mysql and my database is ready, and when you mean about the installation guide do you mean by the config/database folder?

I mean this info: http://www.jforum.net/install.jsp

titan_in wrote:well coming to the category initially i want to set up a forum so right now i want to know it from the admin's view also it would be great if you could let me know about the coding you are mentioning about and sorry for posting in the wrong category.

Thanks for the support jforum team.

Regards,
ace

To add new Cateories, you just log into your JForum installation, click on the Administration Console link at the bottom of the page, and proceed from there. Remember to give the groups permissions to the new forums and categories (especially the Admin group).

The coding I was referencing would be custom code that YOU would write to make entries into the JForum database.

And no worries on posting to the wrong forum!

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello GatorBait3,
I followed the instructions and was susccesful in installing jforum and worked out with the forum categories too. I was wondering if you could help me out with another thing, now I want to modify the new topic page so that I can fill in my requirements. Can I modify that from the adminstartor side(front end) or do I need to go through the code and modify that ??

Thanks for the support,

Regards,
ace

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

titan_in wrote:Hello GatorBait3,
I followed the instructions and was susccesful in installing jforum and worked out with the forum categories too. I was wondering if you could help me out with another thing, now I want to modify the new topic page so that I can fill in my requirements. Can I modify that from the adminstartor side(front end) or do I need to go through the code and modify that ??

Thanks for the support,

Regards,
ace

I'm not sure what you mean by this "I want to modify the new topic page so that I can fill in my requirements." Can you elaborate? Do you want different information rather than what is normally presented for a "New Topic" entry? If so, that would require quite a bit of coding to change the information shown and collected on the page, as well as database table modifications.

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes..!! you are exactly right..I want to add some extra features(buttons, dropdowns, text fields) that would reflect my forum. So basically I want to change that page and even the reply page too as it also contains the same stuff as a New Topic. Could you possibly tell me the location & path of that particular page and please let me know if I need to modify any othe pages which will be affected by this changes so that I could start with the coding.

Thanks as always jforum team,

Regards,
ace

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sounds like you will need to look at many things ... including database changes.

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hey...sorry for bugging you guyz..I was able to figure out the classes i need to work out for the "POST" thing..but now when i tried to edit the html page..its all a.. I could not understand a thing..how can I modify the HTML page to add my extra filed like the subject..

regards,
ace

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic