• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Most Recent Unread Post

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I searched around and didn't see this, but I'm sure it's been discussed at some point so I apologize if this is a duplicate.

In each forum on the topic there is a link to the most recent post in the thread.

Is there anyway, or a plan, to create a link that would, rather than going to the last post in the thread, go to the most recent unread post in a thread?

Just to be clear that I am making sense:
1) Thread created, 4 replies are made.
2) User views and reads all 5 posts.
3) 5 more replies are added.

The link that I want is a link that would take the user to reply #6, rather than reply #10.

Thanks for any help / information!
[originally posted on jforum.net by Tarpan]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The real problem in doing that is performance. jForum uses the last user access date with a variety of other table items (like forum's and topics tracking the last post). Most of this is actually cached in memory to limit the DB access.

To create a link to a user specific post from the index pages would require a lot of additional queries that would slow down the display of the main index pages.

That said, it might be possible to look at doing this in the actual topic listing pages. Probably by just doing some template modifications.

Contributions welcome.
[originally posted on jforum.net by monroe]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I started typing a possible approach to this request, but there are a large number of factors to consider. I guess phpbb has this feature, but I am almost sure they do a lot of sql querying to such, and I personally don't like their approach.

I have considered this feature in the past, but back then I concluded that the effort wasn't worth paying for.

Anyway, if you have suggestions, feel free to do so. Maybe we can find a good solution.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is a regular occuring request for me at the moment.

I haven't begun to look indepth into this to see how realistic it is for me to do the work (I'm a fake programmer) yet, but wanted to check in again here and just see if anyone else has looked into this at all before I start seriously investigating if it's worth the effort.

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Will see what I can come up with. I'm a QA guy by trade so my dev solutions tend to be hack-jobs rather than effectivly built solutions ;)

I agree that there is a lot to this one and that it won't be easy, but it is a really awesome feature for active forums that are conversation driven rather than information driven.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic