• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

installing the jforum database and populating externally

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hey,

I'm trying to install Jforum from an external application,what I am currently trying to do is call the <code>doInstall()</code> method of the InstallAction class.
I tried declaring variables that are input in the installation form and setting the variable values from the external class.

The problem comes in when the <code>SystemGlobals.get* </code>(the * representing the value to be returned) returns a null value in all instances but if I revert to getting values from the session the get method returns an actual value.
My question is what exactly do I need to do to install JForum within my application instead of using the install page?

Thanks in advance.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Peter Kiragu wrote:My question is what exactly do I need to do to install JForum within my application instead of using the install page?

What we did was instal it using the install page once. Then we captured the database state in ddl/sql and used that going forward. We also removed the code for the install action so nobody accidentally ran it and wiped us out!

Peter Kiragu
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
unfortunately I don't have that option because the system I'm working on dynamically creates database schema and hence the jforum tables has to be created along with the rest of the application's tables.

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Peter Kiragu wrote:unfortunately I don't have that option because the system I'm working on dynamically creates database schema and hence the jforum tables has to be created along with the rest of the application's tables.

That doesn't mean you can't script it. Your program can call out to run the external ddl/sql at the time it creates its own tables.

Peter Kiragu
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I should have seen this before. I used HtmlUnit to call the form that creates the forum and it worked.

Thanks for the help.

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good idea!

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic