• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Beginning a career with Spring

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I got an OCJP 1.6 certificate and i am not an IT engineer. I want to learn spring. Can someone suggest how to go about it?
I want to prepare for spring certification, but i am having a tough time in finding a head-first type of book for it. Other books and internet tutorials are too complicated and confusing, especially the ones from the spring website and roseindia.
How do i begin?
How much time does it take to prepare for spring certification ?
Where can i get guidance ?
How do i get good projects to apply my knowledge of spring once i learn something ?

Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've been looking at the Spring Certification as well, but I haven't seen any books specifically for the exam. There are lots of good books about Spring though e.g. Pro Spring, or Spring Recipes (sounds like a seasonal cookery book!), although I haven't seen any "Headfirst" style books yet.

Bear in mind that you need to do the Core Spring training course from Spring, as well as the exam, in order to qualify for the certificate: http://www.springsource.com/training/certification/springprofessional

Ashish S Yadav
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

chris webster wrote:
Bear in mind that you need to do the Core Spring training course from Spring, as well as the exam, in order to qualify for the certificate: http://www.springsource.com/training/certification/springprofessional

What a way to fleece people like us. Will look into it though.
I have doubts about the usefulness of Pro Spring to a newbie like me. As for the recipes, I need to learn the basics of spring first. But, thanks for the information.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"Spring in Action" is a great way to learn Spring without requiring pre-requisite type knowledge (beyond Java.) There are no books specifically for the exam - although you could argue the training class handouts are. I put together a study notes PDF that turned out to be way more detailed than what is on the exam. Also, if you click my signature, you can read more about the exam.

Overall, I'd take the exam if you were taking the course anyway. The cert isn't valuable on its own so I wouldn't take the course just to get certified.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As someone who teaches the Core Spring Class, I agree with Jeanne, if you already going to take the class, which is a great class, then you will receive a free voucher to take the exam. If not taking the class, then you can't take the exam.

So look at the exam/certification as a way the test after taking the class. You wouldn't go take a test for a class in school that you didn't take.

Mark

Ashish S Yadav
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mark Spritzler wrote:As someone who teaches the Core Spring Class, I agree with Jeanne, if you already going to take the class, which is a great class, then you will receive a free voucher to take the exam. If not taking the class, then you can't take the exam.

So look at the exam/certification as a way the test after taking the class. You wouldn't go take a test for a class in school that you didn't take.

Mark

Can I choose you as an instructor when registering for the course ?

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ashish S Yadav wrote:

Mark Spritzler wrote:As someone who teaches the Core Spring Class, I agree with Jeanne, if you already going to take the class, which is a great class, then you will receive a free voucher to take the exam. If not taking the class, then you can't take the exam.

Mark

Can I choose you as an instructor when registering for the course ?

Well, unfortunately unless you company is doing an onsite class, you can't pick your instructor and I work in the US. I rarely get to do public classes, mostly sent to the companies directly. Although recently I did a public Core Spring class in El Seguendo CA USA, but again that is very rare.

However, I wouldn't stop you from sending them an email requesting me. ;)

Mark

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic