• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Part II Component Diagram

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am in the process of implementing component diagram, to start with two approaches are in my mind.

Both are Mark Cade and Humphrey Sheil implementations by grouping tiers..

1. Defining components use case specific.
2. Defining components business specific like admin actions are in one component segment, user actions are in one component segment

Please advice.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For component diagram, just follow Mark Cade example. Don't go by use case wise, go by layer wise. It should be application specific. Component is basically the different component of your designed application.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Reading the question a couple times over, I think that Chennakrishna is planning on organization the components in layers/tiers, but the question is whether within each layer, to create use-case specific components or to group them more by common functionality.

There probably is no right or wrong here, as long as you can justify your decision. It depends on the specifics of your assignment (but you can't discuss that here). I think an important question is, what's the simplest solution? Does it have any important disadvantages? And so on.

Also, you can consider having more use-case specific components in the top tier (presentation), with components becoming more generic as you go down to the integration/persistence tier.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic