• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

DAO for joined tables

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hellow guys, I'm currently on learning using Dao pattern in my project. So as what I know, one Table is equivalent to one DAO, am I right? just like StudentDao, SubjectDao. Each dao performs crud operations in their associated tables. But my question is , how am I going to create a DAO for joined tables? lets say I have a query to join student and subject table, then how do I create a DAO for that? Should I place it to the StudentDao? or to SubjectDao? or there's a good practice in that kind of situation?

TIA!

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think you may want to read http://java.sun.com/blueprints/corej2eepatterns/Patterns/DataAccessObject.html. If you still have more doubts than let us know.

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Palak Mathur wrote:I think you may want to read http://java.sun.com/blueprints/corej2eepatterns/Patterns/DataAccessObject.html. If you still have more doubts than let us know.

thanks for your help
and i have read that article but i have understood DAO design pattern but i did not get any help for DAO class for joined tables

please give me some more explanation

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
my take is it is really upto you on where to put such method, but you may want to consider cohesion, for example, if you are querying for the name of students that are enrolled to a specific subject then you may want to consider to put that in the SubjectDAO because your result makes sense to be coming from such class than from StudentDAO. Having the method name something like "getStudents(String subject)" will also help you decide. Hope this helps.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic