• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

TreeMap help

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Notepad Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am not getting, why headMap() functionality is totally different than headSet().I thought, it should print all elements from k1 to k2 but it is printing only last element of k1 and k2 ? what is this ?

F:\OCJP\Chapter7\TreeMap>java NaviBack
a
f

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

saloni jhanwar wrote:I am not getting, why headMap() functionality is totally different than headSet().I thought, it should print all elements from k1 to k2 but it is printing only last element of k1 and k2 ? what is this ?

a
f

why you think it should print all elements of k1, k2. let me give you a hint. it is a treemap. which means keys should be unique, which means not all values corresponding to all k1's won't be added to the map. if you check the api for put method it says that put method will replace the previous mapping if it is already there. so the latest value will be added.

saloni jhanwar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

gurpeet singh wrote:

saloni jhanwar wrote:I am not getting, why headMap() functionality is totally different than headSet().I thought, it should print all elements from k1 to k2 but it is printing only last element of k1 and k2 ? what is this ?

a
f

why you think it should print all elements of k1, k2. let me give you a hint. it is a treemap. which means keys should be unique, which means not all values corresponding to all k1's won't be added to the map. if you check the api for put method it says that put method will replace the previous mapping if it is already there. so the latest value will be added.

I don't understand your replacement logic.If k1 is a bucket then i can put many different objects in it ,i m not putting same object so is there any meaning of replacement logic in this context , and it is also not necessary that key should be unique.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
TreeMap is a Map implementation. A Map takes key values pairs where the value is associated to a key.When you put a key which is already present in the map, the value of it would be replaced.
This is as per the Java design.

Check this

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Windows XP Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

saloni jhanwar wrote:why headMap() functionality is totally different than headSet().

because headMap is a Map and headSet is a Set. and both doest not support duplicates(in case of Map it is Key), hence it has recently inserted element.

saloni jhanwar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok nice thanks sumit.

Seetharaman Venkatasamy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
the question is why map replaces existing value? because it is designed in that way

Sumit Patil
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For more details check this and this

saloni jhanwar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Seetharaman Venkatasamy wrote:the question is why map replaces existing value? because it is designed in that way

Yes,i read in book something like this that a hashcode/key is like bucket which can have many objects associated with it.it is possible that two or many different objects have same hashcode so they both can't reside in ? becauseof bucket concept of book i got confused.we call a bucket because it can hold many things but if one huge bucket holds only one thing then there is any logic to use bucket word here huh..

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, Saloni
That is a different concept:
1. Hashcode is an index of a table , which holds the elements in TreeMap.
2. A key of an element is a unique ID of the element.

I believe there is a hashcode algorithm that is used to generate the hashcode of the element with a specific key.
Just for example, if the key is "dog", the hashcode is generated as 1. The element with "dog" as its key, will be put into index 1 of a table in TreeMap.
If the key is "cat", the hashcode is generated as 2. The element will put put in index 2 of the table and etc.

So, when you search for "dog", the hashcode is calculated and the result is 1. So, your searching algorithm will go to index 1 to retrieve "dog"'s element.

You can design your own hashcode algorithm to generate the index for each key.
There are different kinds of hashcode algorithms to research on.

Seetharaman Venkatasamy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

saloni jhanwar wrote:it is possible that two or many different objects have same hashcode so they both can't reside in ?

if two different objects has same hash code, then yes both will sit in the specific index/bucket in a singly linked list fashion. this situation is known as collision. a good hashing algorithm should give different hash code for different objects. collision create a linked list, hence searching an element time increase to directly proportional to an elements are in the list.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
TreeMap in Java

Marshal
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Whoever wrote the tutorial doesn't know what “duplicity” means. Nor, “default constructor”. Otherwise it is not bad.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic