• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Handwritten digit recognition using knn -- performance

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In chapter 2 of the book "Machine Learning in Action", section 2.3 has an example of handwritten digit recognition using knn.

I have not implemented this described method, however I have some basic experience with handwritten digit recognition, particularly relating to the framework described by Belongie et al.[PDF]. I have implemented the approach by Belongie et al. and obtained an error rate of ~8% against a small subset of the MNIST handwritten digit database (the published error rate of the approach is 0.63%, but this is due to a significantly larger training set comprising of 60,000 digits).

Given the simplicity of the approach described in the book and the relatively small training set I was surprise to read that it was able to obtain such outstanding performance (1.2% error). What can be attributed to the performance differences of the two approaches? Is it the larger number of exemplars within the training set, differences in complexities between the data sets, or something inherent to the approach that I missed?

Thanks

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic