• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Session timeout then user form submission, where did the form data go?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

This is my first post so I'd like to start by throwing out a big Howdy to all. Now I'll just get into it, cause that’s the way I am.

I have a Weblogic 10.3 hosted java Struts application that is using the container provided (via j_security_check) form based authentication to validate users. The problem arises when a user tries to submit a form after their session has timed out. As expected they are required to fill out the login form again, but after successful authentication I’d expect that their original form submission would be handled normally, but this does not seem to be the case. It’s like the form data is discarded during the login process?

Is this the expected behaviour or should I be able to continue processing of the users form data in my Struts action class normally after they re-login?

Thanks!

-- Jason

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Unless you use some way(Ajax calls) to send the partially filled form data and persist it, the form data would not have been saved and hence you will not be able to retrieve it and present it to the user.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Jason,

Welcome to JavaRanch!!!

We would make things more complicated unnecessarily than anything else to implement such needs. For example, say if your application has 10-15 pages/forms with data, we would end up coding to retain data for all the pages, basically what we would result in is something like session management without a session. I prefer/consider to have a "save data" option[which saves to DB] in each form if the forms are really huge or it really takes too long time. And additionally might add a message somewhere in the corner of the page to say/"educate" the end user - "Please save the page timely, the session gets timed out in 10 minutes or 5".

If the situation is more likely not accepting the above, then I prefer to increase the session timeout period or re-analyze the business needs to see if "timeout" is really required?

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic