• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Reasons to migrate from Struts to Struts 2

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Is there any compelling reasons or major benefit in migrating from Struts to Struts 2?

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X Hibernate Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
IMHO, the main reasons would be testability and not being bound to a particular framework/container, but you can find a full comparison here

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
To add to that list, features like POJO suppport (making the code base a bit more cleaner) and first hand AJAX support, OGNL are certainly candidates to be considered for moving to Struts 2
[ April 29, 2008: Message edited by: Reghu Ram T ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
While all these are technical reasons for migrating Struts 1 to 2, I would say that the business reasons are far more important. If you've an existing web application built with Struts 1 and it is robust and serving the customers well, there is really no business value or sense to just do a technology upgrade or refresh.

My point is to not get carried away by all the technical reasons and forget that all work needs to be justified in dollars and cents.

Alaa Nassef
Ranch Hand
Mac OS X Hibernate Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Chengwei Lee:
While all these are technical reasons for migrating Struts 1 to 2, I would say that the business reasons are far more important. If you've an existing web application built with Struts 1 and it is robust and serving the customers well, there is really no business value or sense to just do a technology upgrade or refresh.

My point is to not get carried away by all the technical reasons and forget that all work needs to be justified in dollars and cents.

I totally agree with that. I was speaking about migrating for new projects. changing the framework of an old project is a pain that should never be done unless there is a really important business reason

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I was speaking about migrating for new projects.

You don't migrate for new projects. You usually migrate from something (old) to something (new)

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic