• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

A program to boot my system from usb

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have to submit my final year project in Java, but I don't want it to be regular project like other students do. So I wanted to create a program in which my system(or other who use it) will boot only and only if I insert my pen drive in it. But I have no clue how to do it, so any suggestion would be a great help

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So many questions . . .

Let's start with 4:

What OS (or OSs) would you like to target for this project?

Are you required to use Java?

If Java is not a requirement, what programming language or OS tools were you planning or able to use?

What will happen if the system is not allowed to boot?

Any other thoughts about how you think this might work and/or look to the user would be helpful. You must have put some thought into it.

Anchal Bhargava
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your quick reply. My Platform is windows 7/Xp. Yes I have to do it in Java not in any other language. If my pen drive is not inserted I did not want my OS to boot and I want to display some sort of message to do that

Greg Brannon
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm sure you know at some level that a Java program, the .class file(s), require the JVM to run, and the JVM is tailored to and dependent on the host OS. So, your level of success on this path will depend on what you mean by preventing the OS from booting. For instance, if you envision that the user will get an error message when the USB device is not inserted, what will be available to provide that output to the screen?

Time to give it more thought.

Sheriff
Netbeans IDE Oracle Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I really depends on how one understands "preventing the system to boot", but all of the interpretations I'm able to imagine preclude using Java to this end. At this level of functionality, you'd need to create a Windows driver, or perhaps a GINA library (that would allow the system to boot, but might disallow users to log on), which clearly cannot be created using pure Java (both are a kind of dynamic link library, ie. a native code).

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Anchal Bhargava wrote:I have to submit my final year project in Java, but I don't want it to be regular project like other students do. So I wanted to create a program in which my system(or other who use it) will boot only and only if I insert my pen drive in it. But I have no clue how to do it, so any suggestion would be a great help

In one word you cannot do !
my answer has many grounds but let me tell you one for your knowledge
  • If you know Java then you would also know that Java code (.class) requires JVM to run ....so when you boot your OS(no matter what os you use) after certain steps "Kernal" is the thing which gets started ...so you cannot stop kernal from loading atleast not from your Java code

• I can give you quick work around but if you are not c/c++ guy then change your project topic ....at-least than you can score good marks

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic