• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Questions for Martin & Benjamin

Greenhorn
Eclipse IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Martin & Benjamin,

I was going through the contents of the book and had a couple of questions related to the performance tuning.
Does this book put some light on-
  • G1 GC that has been introduced in java 7, and how much performance benefit we can get using G1 GC.
  • How to tune GC, how much should be the Heap, PermGenSpace, OldGen ratio for max performance.
  • Does java has tools like JProfiler, to identify the bottleneck?

• Few other questions
  • As java has been taken over by the Oracle, will they continue to support java as opensource? What you guys think on the future of Java?
  • Can we expect the same kind of innovations with Oracle as Sun did? It seems Oracle is looking at Java in business terms.

• Regards,
    Jitendra Chittoda

author
    Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Jitendra Chittoda wrote:Hi Martin & Benjamin,

I was going through the contents of the book and had a couple of questions related to the performance tuning.
    Does this book put some light on-

• G1 GC that has been introduced in java 7, and how much performance benefit we can get using G1 GC.
  • How to tune GC, how much should be the Heap, PermGenSpace, OldGen ratio for max performance.
  • Does java has tools like JProfiler, to identify the bottleneck?

• * It does discuss G1 in some detail and the sorts of performance characteristics you'll get out of it. But as Ben and I always say "Measure, don't guess!". You always need to look at GC collectors in the context of your application and how that application is driven by its users.
    * It talks a little bit about tuning GC yes. However, this is a very large topic which takes up at least 1-2 days of our 4-day performance tuning course :-). Again, it always depends on what type of performance you're wanting, lots of small pauses? Or larger more infrequent pauses?
    * Java has VisualVM which you can use for some performance analysis, including GC. However it is fairly basic and will only give you so many insights. Our start-up is actually working on more sophisticated tooling (that still gives simple answers).

Jitendra Chittoda wrote:
    Few other questions

• As java has been taken over by the Oracle, will they continue to support java as opensource? What you guys think on the future of Java?
  • Can we expect the same kind of innovations with Oracle as Sun did? It seems Oracle is looking at Java in business terms.

• * Absolutely - we're very confident that Oracle will continue to support Java as a fully open source project. We actually work closely with them on this and various other community initiatives such as Adopt OpenJDK and Adopt a JSR.
    * Sun actually stopped innovating with Java (the language) towards the end as Java had become the defacto language for what we call the stable layer. This means that millions of developers rely on Java (the language) to not break or change too rapidly. Therefore we're not going to see Java getting the latest language features quickly. However, you have lots of choice with many other languages on the JVM that do have the latest features, who all interoperate with Java nicely.

Jitendra Chittoda
    Greenhorn
    Eclipse IDE Java Ubuntu
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Thanks for the reply Martin.

As you specified Adopt OpenJDK and Adopt a JSR are the initiatives that you guys started. I have gone through the websites, as per my understanding Adopt OpenJDK is open for all. But I believe Adopt a JSR is only for London Java Community(LJC), correct me if I am wrong.

Also I would like to contribute a new concurrency related utility in Java, what you think would OpenJDK would be the good place to start with for this, OR I can create a new JSR for the same on JCP?

Thanks,
    Jitendra Chittoda

Ranch Hand
    Mac OS X Spring Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Jitendra Chittoda wrote:Thanks for the reply Martin.

As you specified Adopt OpenJDK and Adopt a JSR are the initiatives that you guys started. I have gone through the websites, as per my understanding Adopt OpenJDK is open for all. But I believe Adopt a JSR is only for London Java Community(LJC), correct me if I am wrong.

I will just answer this question. Adopt a JSR is not only for LJC members, it is open for all JUG members. Following link may help: https://blogs.oracle.com/java/entry/adopt_a_jsr

author
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Jitendra Chittoda wrote:Also I would like to contribute a new concurrency related utility in Java, what you think would OpenJDK would be the good place to start with for this, OR I can create a new JSR for the same on JCP?

I would start by joining Doug Lea's concurrency-interest mailing list and watching the posts there for a few weeks.

Then, if you think that your idea would fit in well (& hasn't already been proposed), you can propose it there.

One moderate word of caution - that list has some of the best concurrency people in the world on it. The JVM's concurrency model is also quite subtle. Starting off making small contributions and making sure that you've fully tested your assumptions is probably the best way to get your ideas heard. You should also make sure you have a good understanding of the JMM as defined in the spec, and how java.util.concurrent is implemented (and ideally some knowledge of hardware as well).

Jitendra Chittoda
    Greenhorn
    Eclipse IDE Java Ubuntu
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Thanks for the information Ben,

I have joined Doug Lea's concurrency-interest mailing list, and I will keep an eye on what is going on. I will also go through the JMM and classes implemented in java.util.concurrent in depth to ensure that my idea is not implemented yet.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic