• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Error in Installing GIT on Windows 7.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
i am trying to install GIT on Windows 7,
getting the following errors:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 6.1.7600.0 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.1
System.Deployment.dll : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
clr.dll : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
dfdll.dll : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
dfshim.dll : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)

SOURCES
Deployment url : http://github-windows.s3.amazonaws.com/GitHub.application
Server : AmazonS3
Application url : http://github-windows.s3.amazonaws.com/Application%20Files/GitHub_1_0_20_2/GitHub.exe.manifest
Server : AmazonS3

IDENTITIES
Deployment Identity : GitHub.application, Version=1.0.20.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8f45a2159c87c850, processorArchitecture=x86
Application Identity : GitHub.exe, Version=1.0.20.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8f45a2159c87c850, processorArchitecture=x86, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
* Installable application.
* Trust url parameter is set.
ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of http://github-windows.s3.amazonaws.com/GitHub.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Downloading http://github-windows.s3.amazonaws.com/Application Files/GitHub_1_0_20_2/msvcp100.dll.deploy did not succeed.
+ The operation has timed out.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [8/4/2012 7:36:39 PM] : Activation of http://github-windows.s3.amazonaws.com/GitHub.application has started.
* [8/4/2012 7:36:41 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
* [8/4/2012 7:36:41 PM] : Installation of the application has started.
* [8/4/2012 7:36:53 PM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
* [8/4/2012 7:36:57 PM] : Found compatible runtime version 4.0.30319.
* [8/4/2012 7:36:57 PM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [8/4/2012 7:45:22 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
- Downloading http://github-windows.s3.amazonaws.com/Application Files/GitHub_1_0_20_2/msvcp100.dll.deploy did not succeed.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.Net.WebException
- The operation has timed out.
- Source: System
- Stack trace:
at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.

author
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That URL worked for me when I entered it into a browsers, and the dll was downloaded. Are you perhaps behind a proxy? Can you download the dll by doing what I did?

Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First i downloaded this Git,
msysGit-fullinstall-1.7.11-preview20120620.exe
when i installed this it installed git in some command prompt and took arround 2.30 hours to install, and installed git with the above error, and after installation i don't know how to even start that, it doesn't have any GUI.

than i installed
Git-1.7.11-preview20120710.exe
this installation has GUI.
both the installation were quite different, i don't know what is the difference?

Peter Johnson
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Punit Jain wrote:msysGit-fullinstall-1.7.11-preview20120620.exe

Where did you download this from? When I clicked the download button at http://git-scm.com/download/win the file I get is named Git-1.7.11-preview20120620.exe

than i installed
Git-1.7.11-preview20120710.exe
this installation has GUI.
both the installation were quite different, i don't know what is the difference?

The first one is the basic Git software, but it is command-line only. The second one adds a GUI to control the first. Mots git tutorials assume only the use of the command line.

Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Where did you download this from? When I clicked the download button at http://git-scm.com/download/win the file I get is named Git-1.7.11-preview20120620.exe

i downloaded it form google code here: http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list

The first one is the basic Git software, but it is command-line only.

yes i installed this one, it took lot od time to install and lot of space, how can i uninstall it, it's not in control panel.

Peter Johnson
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I assume that by now you have tried the link I gave and downloaded the installer from there. But here is another hint, go to the link you posted and read the Summary and Labels column and ask yourself if the file you downloaded is
the one you really want (I doubt that you want to hack git!).

One the GUI tool, look into the installation directory, there might be an uninstaller there. Otherwise, I would try just deleting the installation directory and removing any desktop and start menu icons for the GUI.

Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

go to the link you posted and read the Summary and Labels column and ask yourself if the file you downloaded is

yes i downloaded one which says "if you want to hack on Git", but i don't know what it do, what is mean by hack the git here?

I assume that by now you have tried the link I gave and downloaded the installer from there

yes i downloaded it.

One the GUI tool, look into the installation directory, there might be an uninstaller there. Otherwise, I would try just deleting the installation directory and removing any desktop and start menu icons for the GUI.

i deleted the directory.

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Punit Jain wrote:

go to the link you posted and read the Summary and Labels column and ask yourself if the file you downloaded is

yes i downloaded one which says "if you want to hack on Git", but i don't know what it do, what is mean by hack the git here?

It's a geek way of saying - "if you want to add features or fix bugs or do any other changes to Git itself".

Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jaikiran Pai wrote:

Punit Jain wrote:

It's a geek way of saying - "if you want to add features or fix bugs or do any other changes to Git itself".

ohk got it

What are your superhero powers? Go ahead and try them on this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic