• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

64 bit JVM

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
When trying to download Java from Oracle there is only one type of 64 bit download.

But there are software for eg: InstallAnyWhere to downlowad VM Packs, there are different types VM available: AMD 64 bit and Intell 64 bit.

How could this be possible... ?

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Thank you,
Marco

Ranch Hand
IBM DB2 Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The Intel and the AMD versions may have different native machine code.

To be honest, I have had no problem downloading for any supported OS and CPU architecture.

Are you looking in the correct places?

WP

marco rama
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you !

William, I can understand that 64 bit Java downloaded from the Oracle will work for both the AMD and Intel. As it dosent differentiate it.

But why InstallAnyWhere Software maintains two different VM PACKS one for AMD and other for Intel. This is only 64 bit Architecture. (Havent got any update from the Flexera Software yet the company which owns the InstallAnywhere )

Now that I need to use InstallAnyWhere software to build my product. I am bit clueless that I need to maintain both the flavous AMD and Intel 64 bit. Or Just one can suffice and if its any one which one to choose from . ?

Regards,
Marco

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi marco rama,

Welcome to CodeRanch!

Well, technically speaking, its an individual software maker's decision whether to provide separate versions for Intel and AMD architecture. Most of the vendors (including some of the operating systems) provide same package for both architecture, because there are lot of similarities between those two architectures.

However, those are not exactly same architectures, so if an application is very tightly coupled with architecture, then it should provide separate versions for both architectures.

AFAIK, InstallAnywhere enables the developer to create installers for different architecture, so I doubt whether you really need to code for separate architectures. If you are coding in Java, then you don't need to worry about all this.

I hope this helps.

marco rama
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you Anayonkar Shivalkar !

The code is same which use to support only 32 Architecture. We are now extending it to the 64 bit architecture as most of our clients are not using 64 bit machines..

InstallAnyWhere is able to make a build even for the 64 bit Achitecture, for which we need to install VM Packs from the site. The problem is that it has two different VM Pack(AMD and Intel). Which leads to two different builds one for AMD and other for Intel. And the direction is to use only one(also Oracle has just only one 64bit) as it creates lot of confusion with the customers...

Regards,
Marco

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic