• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

The Quick Python Book, Second Edition

Bartender
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Author/s    : Vern Ceder
Publisher   : Manning Publications
Category   : Other
Review by : Deepak Bala
Rating        : 9 horseshoes

"The Quick Python Book" is true to its name. Someone with previous experience in programming should be able to breeze through it. The examples are short and to the point and the author avoids visiting topics like XML parsing to keep the book light.

The good:

1. You can skim through the book really fast if you already have knowledge of topics like exceptions / OO programming etc.
2. Introduces you to python 3 and explains why learning it is worth your while.
3. Although this is not a recipe book, I was still able to visit chapters out of order without much discomfort. I was not interested in GUI programming for example and skipped the entire chapter.

The bad:

I didnt find anything to critize. If you follow your own path (you could say use pyCharm instead of IDLE) while learning python from this book, you should do great. I would have loved to read a page or two in the book, about python implementations and how they came about. But this information is available on a wiki [1] anyway.

Have fun learning python. This is a great book for experienced programmers and beginners alike.

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Python_implementations

More info at Manning

Arthur, where are your pants? Check under this tiny ad.
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic