• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Use of "self" and "data" in class inheritance in Python

Ranch Hand
Python Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello All,

I'm a bit confused while using inheritance in Python..
The problem comes when the book introduced the use of 'self' and 'data'

I know that 'self' is just like 'this' in Java.. It refers to the current instance of class..
Also, 'data' is a data attribute of a class..
** Is this data attribute a Dictionary always?? Can't it be anything else??

Also, at some place I got confused over the use of these in combination..

E.g: -

1). In __init__ method of a class extending UserDict class: - They have used self['name'] = filename where filename is an argument to the __init__

2). In UserDict class : - They have used self.data = {}

When I proceeded further, I found that, self['name'] by default calls a special method named __setname__ with the following syntax: -

I want to ask that, how is the statement self['name'] delegated to this method defined in the ancestor??

Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Python Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What you are describing is someone's attempt to create a class named UserDict which can be accessed like it was a Dictionary. The self reference is a 'namespace' that you can think of as a dictionary itself, referring to 'variables' stored in that namespace as key (the name of the variable) and value pairs.

I am guessing the class looks something like this:

The above class could be used like this:

The UserDict class itself acts like a dictionary. In order to make the work simplified it internally uses an object which is a Dictionary object - the data object. This data object is an arbitrary variable - it does not have to exist in your classes, it does not have to be a Dictionary. It is just that whoever implemented UserDict chose to create the variable named data, assign a dictionary to it, and use it as a backing store for their own dictionary implementation.

You could just as easily make a List implementation like UserList which does somehting like this:

In this case there is no data variable, there is a storage variable which serves the same function. And this time the type is a List ([]) not a Dictionary ({}).

I did a little search, and it turns out the Python library provides UserDict and UserList as convenience classes to help users implement their own Dictionary and List. See http://docs.python.org/library/userdict.html. So if you wanted to make your own Dictionary implementation then you would extend UserDict, and in that case the variable will be named data and will be a Dictionary. If you don't want to implement a Dictionary, don't extend UserDict and you won't have the data variable.

R. Jain
Ranch Hand
Python Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Steve for a very nice and thorough explanation.. That cleared all my doubts for now..

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic