• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

why doesnt these indian IT Companies care a thing about programming & technical skills.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I just got graduated this year in comp sciences and im in the hunt for jobs.
I've been through a lot, I went for 12 or 13 selection procedures, and I never saw anyone caring about the interviewee's programming & technical skills.
Its like the person - who talks pleasingly and who is spontaneous in giving responses is the right guy for them, as though they are selecting for some kind of call center.
You won't believe that sometimes guys who cant even program(or write sudo-code) for simple fist year C assignments get selected for well renowned companies.

I worked a bit hard since my third year of graduation, good in java, learned vb.net sitting home, made even two tiny .net projects, meanwhile. I might not be the perfect guy(im trying to..) but im worth something.
But right now, I'm kind of losing it.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Programming skills are important, but so are communication skills. The ability to give and understand instructions, to work well with others on a team, to explain complex concepts in an understandable way, are all necessary skills in a development career. To some extent, programming can be taught easily, while the other skills are harder to develop.

I'm not saying that you don't have all these skills -- I'm just explaining that interviewers looks for things other than just technical ability.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nagarjuna,
Please keep in mind that, only technical or programming skills can't get an Job, communication skills also plays a very vital role.
The interviewer has around 20-30 minutes of time, in which (s)he has to judge a candidate, whom they might have never seen before, so obviously the soft skills play an important role. Also, while coming to campus or freshers requirement, the main thing the interviewer will be interested is the ability of the person to learn quickly, so that they are trainable, we can't expect the freshers to be master of technologies and can't select them based on only technical skills.

As you say, you have good technical abilities, and attended 12-13 interviews, and even still you didn't make in means, its time to sharpen your soft skills...

nagarjuna borra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ernest Friedman-Hill wrote:
thank you Ernest, for replying.
I do agree with the importance of communication skills. But isnt just the ability to communicate is quite enough??. To them, it seems is quite not enough, it seems they have a tendancy towards guys who talk pleasingly and are spontanious, just as I said before.
most of the times people come across situations like these -

two guys crack the first round - written test on aptitude(sometimes verbal and technical too).
the first guy excels at it and the second guy just crossed the line.

then comes the technical round which tests their programming or technical skills. Still its often that the programming/technical skills are not quite well(they are cared more about 'what is this and what is that' rather than 'how is that and why is that')

there is this one instance when the interviewer asked a question, that kind of made sense, to a mate of mine who is relatively technically poor(no offence meant), the question was - why should one go for OOP?why java and all these oop languages?
and my mate replied - for a better performance(implying that OOP programs run faster)
to my surprise the interviewer made him through, the reason he gave was - he was confident and he liked his attitude.
No wonder why people keep saying - 'even if you dont know the answer , answer the question confindently and promptly'!!!.
(There are several instances like these, and im not making them up).

and the first guy as usual, being a skilled guy excels at this too

then comes the personal interview that tests for cummunication and attitude

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART - here the first guy was quite enough for communication(the guy can communicate), but he wasnt spontaneous and didnt make much of impression
but the second guy, being extremely social, with his infinite spontanity and pleasing sweet talk makes a very good impression.
The HR guy, who only has a requirement of few, selects the second guy, ditching the first guy, ignoring his skills and normal ability to just communicate(althogh not spontaneous).Its because, to him all the previous rounds mean nothing, if the interviewee makes a good impression, then consider he's done.If not, well, he's goes down.

Believe me, there are good guys better than me wandering here and there for 1 or 2 years, just to get a job, even if they get paid very low.

Ranch Hand
Python Ruby Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Another reason is that lot of big outsourcing companies conduct inhouse training for the new candidates. If you look at smaller shops/startups, the programming is still very important.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I totally agree with you nagarjuna. I really don't understand how some companies in India recruit students during campus placements.
I graduated last month and i am a IT fresher hunting for job.I couldn't sit in any of the campus placements because i had an active backlog during the company's visit.I would like to tell something about a company that visited our college.Although i won't name this company but it's a very big and very reputed company here in India. Atleast 95% of the students who got placed in this company didn't know any sort of programming.I don't know why these companies keep their eligibilty criteria like - you should not have any active backlog or you must have an x% to appear for the company.I was never intrested in scoring more percentage and I am not the perfect guy but i was definitely the better guy in terms of programming and also in soft skills as compared to the students who got placed.Half of the students who got placed don't even know how to speak proper English.

Let's hope in coming years Indian IT companies lay more emphasis on selecting students on the basis of IT skills and not on the basis of their percentages.

nagarjuna borra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
@Rohan Deshmkh

Same here, never was interested in those worthless percentages, just spent a lot of time before computer.

Anyways, just dont give up, may we reach our destiny, godspeed to us.

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The indifference shown during an interview is just the beginning. Life is unfair so you better get used to it. Being talented does not necessarily earn you a high salary, and vice-versa.

Interviewers may not focus on a technical skill when they want someone that can adapt to any environment. Sometimes companies hire engineers without knowing which team they will map to. In such cases the questions asked may involve pseudo code. Like the others mentioned, keep working on your soft skills and bridge any gaps that are mentioned by the interviewer.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good interviewing, job hunting, resume writing and networking skills are important too.

nagarjuna borra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Deepak Bala wrote:Life is unfair so you better get used to it

AGREED!!.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

nagarjuna borra wrote:I just got graduated this year in comp sciences and im in the hunt for jobs.
I've been through a lot, I went for 12 or 13 selection procedures, and I never saw anyone caring about the interviewee's programming & technical skills.
Its like the person - who talks pleasingly and who is spontaneous in giving responses is the right guy for them, as though they are selecting for some kind of call center.
You won't believe that sometimes guys who cant even program(or write sudo-code) for simple fist year C assignments get selected for well renowned companies.

I worked a bit hard since my third year of graduation, good in java, learned vb.net sitting home, made even two tiny .net projects, meanwhile. I might not be the perfect guy(im trying to..) but im worth something.
But right now, I'm kind of losing it.

Yes, GPA or grades do not always show real knowledge. Maybe you know some more languages than your competitors.
But, how do you really know if you are better than those people ? How do you know if they are not better problem solvers than you ?
Its not always about coding or development. Sometimes, companies take people who are intelligent and can learn quickly, regardless
of the number of languages they know.
Maybe your soft skills need improvement too. Quit complaining and keep trying.
Who knows, someday you might get a senior position in a big company and change
the hiring policies for the better.

good luck.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic