• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Whats the point in getting a OCJP or SCJP certificate ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Okay, this problem may be specific to me. Many things are covered in OCJP. I can remember most of them after preparing for 3 months and pass the test. Then what ? 2-3 months later, I am doing code at an internship which hardly uses
few of these concepts. But, the code does significant work. Anyway I forgot most of these concepts. But, they are still there in my notes for the OCJP which I finally decided not to take.

I would rather do projects (big or small, personal or for a company) that will use many of these concepts. That way, I can remember and appreciate the need for these concepts without memorizing them to pass an exam and flash
a (worthless) certificate at every interview that i go to.

Which projects or kinds of project could use a lot of concepts at one time ?

Author
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I couldn't agree more. There are so many inter related technologies and frameworks, so work on tutorials, self-taught projects, open source contributions, and part-time volunteer work. Many quality developers don't have any certifications. They thrive on ongoing learning, passion for what they do, and hands-on accomplishments. Along the way, I recommend you start a blog and capture your experience.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic