• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Error while booting ubuntu 12.04 gui bootup

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Initially my laptop with ubuntu os was working correctly but after sometime,when i try to boot the os,the ubnuntu screen comes and then a message comes:

"Your system is running in low-graphics mode, Your screen, graphics card, and input device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need to configure these yourself."

Then when i press ok and go to cli mode,even init 5 there,after login doesn't take me to gui mode.What to do?Is there a way to switch to gui mode without reinstalling ubuntu?Please help.I don't wanna lose my contents of ubuntu.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
"GUI mode" is a misnomer. It's saying that it could not start the X client because the graphics hardware could not be properly configured and that the configuration failed because the X auto-configuration system could not reliably determine the make and model of one or more of your bits of graphics hardware.

If the system was working, you may have developed a hardware problem. Although in the case of laptops, where the hardware tends to be pretty unusual to begin with, it's also possible that the hardware you are running isn't well-supported by the available drivers. The drivers might be just good enough to make it work sometimes and not other times. One possible way around this is to completely power off the laptop before booting, thus allowing the hardware to all clear to its base state.

You should check to see what graphics hardware you have and whether there are possible driver updates. If you're into blood and guts and transistors in your teeth, you can also hand-craft an xorg.conf file yourself, but that's not a task for the faint of heart if for no other reason than half the online documentation you run into will be out of date and send you down false paths.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic