• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Counting values in recursivity: Should I use static value? Is the method inside, an instance?

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

In recursivity, there's anyway to keep some value for all the internal called recursive methods?

I am iterating a String inside some method, when I find an specific character I send it inside the same method by recursivity and return only when it finds other character of finalization. The problem is that I need that count of iterations, did inside this methods for the superior method in the hierarchy, I am sending it with the return, but, I think it's not elegant..

Can I use static values for it (I add count inside, and when it goes to the superior method it keeps this value)?

Bartender
Python Ruby Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, you can declare static field inside the class that contains recursive call and increment it each time you make a call to recursive method. Or, you can use accumulator as argument of your method and increment it each time recursive call is made. Something like:

Note that this recursive method returns depth as a result. If your recursive method returns some other value, you would just change depth to be a reference of a type you define, say:

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have a knee‑jerk reaction to being asked whether something should be static, which is no.
There are reasons why something should be static, like being shared between all instances, available without creating an instance, etc. But I cannot see that applying to recursion. My first question about recursion would be: why isn’t it a method‑local variable?
Why not create a class which encapsulates the recursive values and the iteration count. Then you can pass and return that reference, and increment its counter. Let’s try that for a Fibonacci number, using the classic exponential complexity version:

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic