• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How can a fresher deal amongst expert professiona

Ranch Hand
Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
How can a fresher deal amongst expert professionals I am a fresher and recently joined java team .I have one Senior who is very helpful who explains me the code completely and i get a sense of satisfaction and confidence that i learnt something.Also i have a project lead who never tells me anything and the only thing he says is search yourself.It really frustrating when you only know core java and not struts or spring. Now the question is opposite over here.How can a fresher deal amongst expert professional.I feel sad when projct lead says to my manager that i didnotcomplete the task.I am a silent kind of guy and i hate when pepple misuse it. Jquery , struts and Spring are completely new to me and if somebody says to search by myself i feel awkward

Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, it sounds like both your senior colleague and your team leader have a point!

As your team leader says (rather undiplomatically), you need to make as much effort as you can to find out for yourself how things work e.g. working through existing code at work, or learning about Spring etc (in your spare time if necessary). This industry changes all the time, so you will find there is always new stuff to learn, and you will usually have to do this on your own.

At the same time, it's fair to expect some support from your more experienced colleagues - and it sounds like some of them are giving you this. But it's not fair to expect them to spend a lot of time helping you to do your job, when they have their own jobs to do. Most workplaces are not like college - people are not being paid to teach you things - so you need to take some responsibility for learning this stuff on your own. If you have done this but find you are still stuck, then certainly ask your colleagues for help, because it's better to ask for help than waste your time (and your employer's money) achieving nothing. But it will also be easier for them to help you with genuinely difficult problems if you have already done the easier stuff on your own, and you will learn more if you try to do things on your own.

So I guess the answer is to try to find a middle path between (a) sitting there understanding nothing but afraid to ask for help, and (b) constantly pestering your colleagues to tell you the answers to simple questions that you could have figured out on your own.

Good luck!

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Your team leader is shirking his responsibility. An important part of leadership is the mentoring of the less experienced.

Sure, you need to step up to the plate, and try as hard as you can to learn -- but he needs to be sure that you have the tools and knowledge to do so, and to make sure that you are not foundering.

And if his manager was on the ball, when he reports that you are falling short of the goals, his first question should be "And how are you helping him overcome that?"

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic