• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Framework for application with catalog&data tables - Gui component

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm developing an application that uses a Relational Database and I would like an opinion on a possible framework to use. There are two types of tables in the DB: 1. Catalog tables (fixed structure - eg, Document Type, Attribute, Attribute Type, User ...) 2. Data Tables (variable tables structure, variable column’s number, constructed automatically from the data entered in the catalog tables)

For example I have, among other, the two catalog tables

Document Type (IDDocType, DESCR)
Attribute (IDDocType, ID, DESCR, AttibType)

When I insert a new record in the catalog table "Document Type"

(IDDocType = 1, DESCR = 'INVOICES')

creates a new data table "TAB01_'INVOICES'," and when I insert a new record in the "Attribute"

(IDDocType = 1, ID = 1, DESCR = "Customer", AttibType= "STRING")

creates a new column in the table "TAB01_'INVOICES'"

This way I can build an administrative application with which to define all the metadata and structure of "data tables" and then populate the data tables and display them in a graphical component table on which to search, set filters, etc. ...

3 questions/dubt:

1) Is there a framework (Java) to facilitate the development of this type of application metadata / catalog vs. data? Examples that may say what the catalog tables, which should be the relationship between them and how to create tables dti from these?

2) For browsing and searching / inserting the data tables I thought to use a component such as the JSF datatable. I wish, however, that this graphical component allows to use a table that is not mapped with an ORM (Hibernate, JPA ...) and then having the following features:

Display in tabular format
Pagination
Sorting of columns
Settings filters directly on the columns
Automatically create a search/inserts/update form
Is there a component with these characteristics, for which you can specify at runtime on which the DB table you want to work?

3) I have seen many graphical components in different languages ​​and libraries (JSF, GWT, ZF, Javascript) that provide all the functionality listed above for a table mapped with JPA / Hibernate. Is it possibe to make such a mapping table of the DB created during the execution of the application (in my case with the trigger sgli entries in the catalog tables) on a JPA runtime to be able to use those features? I seem to have read that such a thing could be possible with libraries like CGLIB, JAVASSIST, ASM. Can you confirm this and possibly link me some example, if you know him?

Thank you , Daniele

Bartender
Python Ruby Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello and welcome to the Ranch!

Please BeForthrightWhenCrossPostingToOtherSites (link).

Daniele Donnarumma
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok, tank you.

I posted this question in other forums but I haven't received a response yet.

I will be happy if I'll receive help for my problem.

Daniele

Kemal Sokolovic
Bartender
Python Ruby Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I posted this question in other forums but I haven't received a response yet.

Next time please note that you've posted to another forum(s). It's ok if you haven't received an answer yet there, but you should be forthright about it. Otherwise, other Ranchers might think you're wasting their time.

Good luck with getting an answer!

You can thank my dental hygienist for my untimely aliveness. So tiny:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic