• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Grab Value from Remote Website

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi guys, I am developing a finance application where my application will need to grab rates (forex, etc) from various banks each day. These banks publish their rates at their website. I use Java application running generic InputBufferedStream of the IO library to grab the HTML data. Most websites work. Unfortunately, there is one, which is (www.pbebank.com) website, their server refuse to respond to my program. Despite adding User Agent equals Mozilla etc. to the header of my URLConnection, I still fail to get the required data. Would appreciate help if someone knows how to. I suspect it is still the server rejecting my application as the header sent still does not match up to their acceptable format. They are rejecting spiders/crawlers. My code is as below.

Error is, the page takes a long time run this function, and after a while, it returns:
java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: recv failed

Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Python Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Subliner Kemp wrote:They are rejecting spiders/crawlers....

Your application is a crawler, and they are blocking crawlers. Have you read their terms of service to ensure that what you are doing is allowed? Either way, if they block you then there isn't much you can do about it.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic