• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Importing an existing project into the workspace for the Eclipse IDE

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Folks,

I have some issues with importing projects in Eclipse. What does Eclipse recognize as a project? I tried to import into Eclipse some projects I created in Netbeans, but I get a message in the 2nd import dialog box in Eclipse that says:"No projects are found to import". However if I were to import a project from an eclipse workspace itself, I am not getting such a message. Why is this happening? Hope somone can advise. The Eclipse in question is Eclipse Gallieo. Thanks

regards
John

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Eclipse is looking for the .project file to recognize it as an Eclipse project. Possibly another file too, but not having .project is fatal. Missing other files may load with errors.

John Paterson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Jeanne Boyarsky ,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Does that mean it's not possible to open a netbeans project in Eclipse as a project created in netbeans does not have the '.project' file?
Is there any workaround?

regards
John

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You still can; just not via the file system. If you export the project as a jar file or war file from NetBeans, you can then import that into Eclipse. Since you are dealing with a java artifact, both IDEs know how to deal with that. Whereas with the raw files, Eclipse doesn't know what to make of it.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's important to make a distinction between the project files and the "project" itself.

Eclipse won't automatically recognize any project. You have to either import it, or create it. You can create a project which uses existing files in a directory in the workspace (or for that matter, in some other place).

The .project (and .classpath files, for Java projects) are created for the benefit of Eclipse, but what's more important is that when you create a project using the New/Project command sequence, a collection of information is constructed in the workspace metadata directory. Without this invisible "black box" (huh?) data, the project isn't an Eclipse project and Eclipse won't see it as a workspace project.

It's exactly the same and completely different as this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic