• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

End of public updates for Java SE 6

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Got this in an email from Oracle:

End of Public Updates for Java SE 6

The last publicly available release of Oracle JDK 6 is to be released in February, 2013.This means that after February 19, 2013, all new security updates, patches and fixes for Java SE 6 and Java SE 5 will only be available through My Oracle Support and will thus require a commercial license with Oracle. It's important for developers and systems administrators to either make the transition over to Java SE 7 or to work with Oracle to get updates via the Java SE Support program.

—Tori Wieldt, The Oracle Technology Network Team

Sheriff
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Ha! I just left a project where they were still using Java 1.4, for which all support and security updates ended in 2008. (They hoped they might be able to upgrade within the next year, which is exactly what they said last year.) So this holiday season, as you all enjoy your fancy for-loops, generics, and enumerations, and gorge yourself on delicious annotations, please take a few minutes to remember those developers less fortunate than you. Our problems seem small and petty compared to theirs.

Heroic work plunger man. Please allow me to introduce you to this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic