• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Program approach

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have written a program that off loads 4 different records from a serial device, that part works great.

I am wondering on an approach for updating a web page, email, twitter, ftp, GUI, etc. I thought of using the Observer model but not sure if that is the best approach.
Two of the records get updated every 2.5 seconds, 1 record gets updated every 5 minutes (could be every minute) and the forth record is updated about every 5 minutes plus or minus.

The each record is defined in their own class and updated as needed, I thought the best approach would be to notify other processes that the record was updated, have those processes grab the data and to their part.

Anyway, I am looking for options on approach.

Thanks
Mike

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Bates wrote:I thought the best approach would be to notify other processes that the record was updated, have those processes grab the data and to their part.

This is just what I would do.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic