• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Funny things heard in interviews

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I was interviewing an offshore developer today. It was a phone interview, and another person was interviewing her before me. I dialed in early, and was listening in whole doing my work. My co-worker started asking her about design patterns. She said she has used the "fuck-it" pattern. Mind you, her english until now was pretty good. But, she said "fuck-it" pattern. I listened in more and she started describing the facade design pattern

It's facade :- fuh-saad, not fuh-k-ate

Not her fault though. English is a very funny language.

Bartender
jQuery Netbeans IDE Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database Chrome Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jayesh A Lalwani wrote:I was interviewing an offshore developer today. It was a phone interview, and another person was interviewing her before me. I dialed in early, and was listening in whole doing my work. My co-worker started asking her about design patterns. She said she has used the "fuck-it" pattern. Mind you, her english until now was pretty good. But, she said "fuck-it" pattern. I listened in more and she started describing the facade design pattern

It's facade :- fuh-saad, not fuh-k-ate

Not her fault though. English is a very funny language.

That's hilarious! And English is worse than "funny". I sympathize with those trying to learn it as a second language. It's such a hodge-podge of various languages, dialects, metaphors, homonyms, synonyms, and slang that I can only imagine how puzzling it must be to non-native speakers.

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
English isn't that hard...I learned it as a child!!!

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I know it must be my Anglo-centric upbringing, but I tried to start learning Japanese at one point. Man, talk about a flaming failure. Surely, English could not be any harder?

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've heard that native English speakers have a very hard, if not impossible time, learning tonal Asian languages.

English has to be a disaster for most non-natives to learn, its such a bastard child of so many other languages. I've studied (a little) both French and German, and each is a far more regular language. For example, if you see a French word, you know how to pronounce it. They don't have the bizarre rules and exceptions that English has.

permaculture is a more symbiotic relationship with nature so I can be even lazier. Read tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic